Sneaker

Tracking Milage

I am looking for the cheapest easiest way to just track mileage hiked for the day.

I use my iphone, (GAIA GPS app, which I really love used for 4 years now), for all of my waypoints, directions, satellite maps, topo maps, roads etc, but I can't leave it on and tracking me all day or the battery will die, and I don't want to have to charge it while out for the day.

What would you suggest ?

pedometer - cheapest?

fitbit maybe more accurate?

This last year I've been with a few people who have fit bits and gps while I track with the iPhone Heath app. The three are always way off. But I never know what one is correct

You could also buy a battery pack, and track constantly with Gaia GPS.

I have this $30 one from Amazon... it claims it will charge your iPhone 9.3 times, and I don't doubt it, though I've never had the need: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Portable-Power-Bank-100/dp/B00ZQ4JQAA/ref=zg_bs_7073960011_12

I use this battery pack for multi-day backpacking trips, and travel in general.

p.s. I'm one the Gaia GPS founders/developers.

• Like 1

Or another option is a solar charging panel that you just hook to your pack. I used the RunKeeper app on my phone while out scouting yesterday and it log the three miles I did perfectly. Plus it also told me how many calories my fat butt burned.

+1 on Gaia GPS. I deleted topomaps app for IOS and got the Gaia instead because it tracks where you go.

I carry a spare battery/usb type to plug into in the middle of nowhere, and the Goal Zero system for solar recharging.

I just got the apple watch- looking forward to seeing how it does.