Sign in to follow this  
mearnsman

Elk, moon phase and the Rut

OK, since most of us now know if we've been drawn. Let's ponder the actually early bull archery hunt.

This year it is early 9th-22nd, it has a full moon right smack dab in the middle on the 16th.

Do you guys think the rut will be later after the full moon?

Does a full moon affect the elk rut?

I believe, if I remember correctly, the last time this happened the rut was late (like first of OCT) and the elk were eerily quiet until after the full moon.

So, what do you guys think?

i always wonder what triggers them the most, the angle of sun, the moon phase, the temp. personally im not the least bit concerned about the date of the hunt, its gonna be sick.

• Like 1

I would far rather have cooler temps during the rut than have the moon at any phase. Good below average cool temps in the mornings is the ticket. Conversely, hot weather during the rut equals a bad deal.

• Like 5

I've never really researched the moon phase deal. From what I've seen the Bulls are on fire the cooler it is and if it's hot it can be a real tough hunt. That's just my simple minded way of looking at it but I will be praying for cool temps! I will be in 5A with the bow or 22S with the muzzloader. Either way, the cooler the better.

• Like 2

I was told a long time ago that the rut is triggered by length of day as well as temperature. Think I heard that during my original hunter safety course. Anyone else hear that or can substantiate it?

Oddly enough most of the times i can remember the full moon thing coming into play I also remember it being hotter than normal so i really cant say one way or the other which one holds more truth. I know last year for my buddies hunt it was 90ish degrees at camp during the middle of the day and that sucked especially when its 80+ out by 8 am and your hiking all over the country side. That being said we found that the lower warmer country in his unit had bulls still traveling in bachelor herds and when we finally got into them in higher country and it cooled down a bit the rut was definitely on. This probably doesn't help one bit, sorry!

I read it has a lot to do with the feed that the cows eat. If its a wet winter then the feed is better, which turns into stored fat for the cows which throws them into estrus at a earlier point in the year. Not sure if that's true

Where it's hot like AZ, Ut, Nm the temps play the largest factor from my experience. Where it's cold like Wy and Co I actually look forward to the full moon as I can pattern them better as they become more vocal at night. They will also move around more in their bedding areas midday during a full moon.

• Like 1

Jay Scott and his guests tend to think the only reason they are quieter during the day during large moons is because they stay up partying all night. You can get up a few hours before light and hear/locate them and be within striking distance when it gets light, so they say.

Last year the only thing I noticed was a very strong correlation between the temperature and the rut activity where I was hunting. The coolest three days in the middle of the hunt were the best three days.

• Like 4

I was told a long time ago that the rut is triggered by length of day as well as temperature. Think I heard that during my original hunter safety course. Anyone else hear that or can substantiate it?

Photoperiod (length of day) is what I read. When I first started hunting I read the book "Whitetail Strategies" they used to sell it at Walmart back in the day. He went over this in the book. Said that it is not the temperature or the moon but it is based on the length of the day. He went on to say there was an indoor facility that timed the lights on and off to simulate daylight. They actually did two year cycles in one year and were able to make the does come into estrous twice or more in a year by tricking them with the lights. I'm pretty sure the bucks also dropped and re grew their antlers in this time as well. However temperature and the moon I'm sure come into consideration in terms of the activity we see or hear. The colder it is the more vocal they will be during the rut but if they are not vocal it does not mean the ruts not happening. Now the book was based on whitetail but I don't see at all that it would be any different for elk. As far as the moon goes I've always heard elk or deer will go more nocturnal with a brighter moon at night but I don't know if that's always the case.

i've read about photoperiod and makes sense but they should rut in december then, the days are very short and most of the deer are rutting then.

the more you read the worst it gets.

i've read about photoperiod and makes sense but they should rut in december then, the days are very short and most of the deer are rutting then.

the more you read the worst it gets.

Not necessarily. Whitetails back east, rut activity peaks I think in November and Its later here. I've always thought it really got heavy mid January. I would imagine that although it's based on photoperiod the point that it starts can be within different times of that period for different species. But I don't know. Just passing on what I read.

What I have heard is if the U of A basketball team makes a long run at the dance in March the elk rut is late September. If U of A bombs out like this year the elk rut tends to be earlier (like U of A's exit).

Honestly I have nothing of substance to offer on this debate.......and I'm not aware of anyone else that has a better read on this popular issue.

• Like 2

I think the archery hunt is to early. Should be beginning of October. Maybe flip flop with the muzzy hunt. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

It's been my experience that it happens when it happens and not a moment sooner. If/when you guys come up with a method to predict rut activity you need to write a book. Usually the most activity I have seen, generally speaking, is the seven days from September 17-24.

• Like 1