Sign in to follow this  
rnhunter

Rem 700 long action search

I haven't really done much in the way of building guns or gunsmithing but I am trying to gather the components to have a gunsmith put together another 7Mag for me. I have a question about trying to get ahold of all the parts for a Rem 700 long action. Is it really this hard to get ahold of an action without buying a Rem 700 rifle and just taking the action? It looks like in order to buy an action from Brownells you need to have a firearms license, not too mention the price for a new action. If I do buy a 700 action what could I get by with for a 7Mag? Would a .270 action be compatible to go on a 7Mag? Just FYI I have a B&C stock with the floorplate, BDL style, TImmney trigger and a Sendero barrel that I took off my other 7MAg. Thanks

Just yesterday I saw that Pacific Tool and Gauge had on clearance an already blueprinted long action w the mag bolt face and an already installed m16 style extractor.

A .270 action could work with the extra expense of opening the bolt face so if u can find one that already has the mag bolt face you are ahead of the game.

Ya anything you order and need shipped would requite it going to an FFL. Most of the time that is what guys do, they buy a rifle and pull it apart. If you go that route buying used would be the way to go.

Rarely do you see just the action (except ordering form places like Brownells) and buying them new usually is about the same cost as a complete rifle. If u can find a used complete rifle thats probably will be your best bet. But for the amount of work done to that Rem action at PTG really isnt a bad deal either.

Ok, sounds interesting, I'll have to take a look at the action on pg&g. Might work for my needs.

Hit pawn shops you should be able to find a used 700 action that is pre bolt lock pretty easy since barrel life isn't an issue

• Like 1

I've always kinda been partial to the 700 action, what are thoughts on a savage action as it was mentioned in previous reply.

Barrels are easy to deal with no serial number so you don't have to deal with the FFL thing. Just order it right to your house. Just know what contour of barrel you are looking for and what twist rate to accommodate the bullet you plan to shoot. Know what finished length barrel you want too, you always cut off about the first inch off the barrel at the muzzle or more if you are looking for shorter.

Regarding the 700 action, you will always have more options of aftermarket upgrades to make it just what you are looking for. ... must be some reason so many of the custom actions are modeled after the Rem 700 action.

I have done the pawnext shop route for actions before. I have also just picked up a cheap rifle from an individual as long as it has the right bolt face. Or a complete new action only. And even buying a Wally World ADL and sourcing bottom metal elsewhere. It should not be hard to find anew R700 action. Then piece together the rest to your liking.

• Like 1

I saw walmart had ADL's for under 3 bills last week. You could probably make a few more bucks back parting it out.

Actually you do not need a gunsmith at all. McGowen has a barrel nut that is threaded for the Remington threads, and will make a barrel for you in 7 mag. I suggest an 1:8 twist rate. The system is called Remage because it works like the Savage barrel nut. If you are on a budget go to any pawn shop, as Upland 81 suggests, and find the most beat up Remington long action magnum anything you can find for the lowest price and you can get. If you can find an old BDL model that is preferable. The bolt face will be the size you need and you will have the trigger, stock and magazine. Find a friend with a barrel vice to remove the old barrel and simply screw on the new one with the barrel nut threaded on it and the recoil lug placed between the nut and the action face. At this point you will need to align the recoil lug to the action. It can be done free hand but there is a lot of trial and error. The simplest thing to do is to get a recoil a lug alignment tool from Brownells and use that. Head spacing on a belted magnum happens at the belt, but I would put an unfired unprimed empty 7mag cartridge in the action with the barrel partially threaded in and close the bolt and slowly turn the barrel the rest of the way until it stops, and snug it down just a bit by hand then tighten the barrel nut with the barrel nut wrench. Cycle the action several times with empty brass or a dummy shell to be sure it closes properly and ejects the brass well. Put the action back in the stock and tighten the action screws to about 50-60 inch pounds each. You are ready to break in your barrel. Your action with the nut is now as versatile as a Savage action. It is possible that you will have to hand inlet the stock a bit to accommodate the barrel nut and float the barrel. A Dremel tool works well for this. To widen the barrel channel if needed, a broom handle or a round wood rod of the same diameter as the barrel shank wrapped in coarse sand paper and some elbow grease works well.

If you are not set on a Remington action then, as DesertBull suggests a Savage or Stevens long action is ideal. These actions have an alignment notch for the recoil lug so a separate alignment tool is not needed, and they come complete with the barrel nut. You will need a barrel nut wrench also from Brownells. All major custom barrel makers with make barrels for Savage actions, and your new gun should shoot under a half inch if you do your reloading correctly. I have done both conversions and the Savage is by far the easiest and most versatile action to work with.