Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Testing Time of Year

Priceless., that's why I thought mine to use a sharp stick ..

Love the x=7 answer!! I literally laughed out loud!

These may not be from az but they probably should be. Az is usually towards the bottom in education. Why education has been forgotten in this country is beyond me.

It isn't forgotten. The teachers are hamstrung by all the tests. They have to teach there kids to pass tests not be able to actually teach them. The tests are all that matter. If the teachers kids don't do well on the tests it is a poor reflection on them and can lead to poor reviews and even losing your job over.

Poor parenting is also part of the issue. She gets kids that don't know anything and have not been taught anything. They have been put in front of a TV or given an iPad all the time so the parent doesn't have to watch the kid or actually parent them.

My wife teacher and I see and hear it every day.

The schools are in the toilet, but I wouldn't blame the teachers. Blame the people who have no idea how to teach that make the laws and programs the teachers are forced to teach.

• Like 1

I never said it was the teachers fault. Education gets forgotten by politicians who don't fund education. Especially in az. And when is the last time you know of a teacher losing their job ? I'm in the same boat as the woman has been a teacher for 10 years. Completely agree on the poor parenting.

I never said it was the teachers fault. Education gets forgotten by politicians who don't fund education. Especially in az. And when is the last time you know of a teacher losing their job ? I'm in the same boat as the woman has been a teacher for 10 years. Completely agree on the poor parenting.

• Like 1

That's why we home school our kids, that way we have total control of what is taught and to make sure they understand it.

Well... You must certainly blame the teachers, they are the ones who get promoted/elected to the level of admins and set policy/sylibus/etc...

Ummm....actually the school board sets policy. The vast majority of school board members are not former teachers. Take a look at who is on the school board at any of the school districts in Arizona and you may be surprised as to how these members could possibly know what is going on in the classroom. But, every principal who is hired and every superintendent or assistant superintendent who is hired has to be approved by the board. Actually, parents and school board members are generally on the hiring committee. Trust me, teachers are about the last ones to blame when they have a max class size of 40 kids and almost every kid in the class has had a different educational background than the kid sitting next to them. When a kid is socially promoted and can barely read at a 5th grade level, but he is sitting in your Biology class or American History class there is not much a teacher can do. But, they are expected to differentiate their instruction to address these educational differences - that is like teaching 5 or 6 lessons to one class at the same time!

• Like 1

40 kids is a lot. When I was in school we were about 25 to 30 per class and math was simple enough parents could help us out all through grade school. Now 20 years ago when my kids were in elementary school they would bring home stuff that I couldn't help them with because of verbiage and terms that I couldn't make heads or tales of and I had an engineering background.

I remember learning algebra in the 7th grade and wondering what I was ever going to use it for, well I learned real quick when I took classes on DC and AC Theory but the stuff the kids were bringing home had me scratching my head.

I just got home yesterday from taking some boy scouts out. One of them I asked to fold the tarp up that he used and he said he didn't know how (13 years old). I asked if he folds the blankets or sheets at home.. he said no. I asked one of the other boys to help him and he learned how to fold a tarp. At what point do parents think its alright to teach there kids what I thought was common knowledge. ..?

• Like 1

Ask any kid if they know how to read the time on an analog clock. You will be shocked at the answer. Home schooled kids are generally smarter/more educated however most, not all are socially dysfunctional. Shy, get pushed around dont know how to take criticism from their peers etc. etc.

I agree ten fold it has more to do with parenting specially in Az with the diverse kids from all over. I see kids from California as an example, horrible grades barley get by, parents too busy to be at their sports events. Then the exact opposite, usually kids from mid west, great grades, parents on top of them 24/7, at every sporting event, great support system.

Im not teacher, just a coach but IMO its far more the parents fault when it comes to education than it is the teachers who's hands are generally tied.

• Like 1