Sign in to follow this  
azhunter85

Pretty sad

So here's a rant for you hunters, I had 7 points for turkey this year and decided to put in with a friend for a hunt with 4 tags and in my back yard. This unit started turkey hunts last year and this going to be the second year. Last year there were ten tags between two hunts and this year there is 8 total tags between two hunts. Long story short we drew two tags and a buddy drew two tags and come to find out his one tag says permit number 7..... Hhhmmmmm what's up with that, made a phone call and had a guy get back with me later today on how they didn't know the system put out 9 tags for the first hunt, my hunt. So now we went from 4 tags to 9 in the first hunt. How's that for wildlife management, a computer system that doesn't get checked issuing tags and essentially managing the unit. Double plus one for tags on the first hunt... What other hunts do tags gets allocated for on accident??? Freakin stupid that it's this bad and no one knew about it till I called. 7 bonus points I wish I could get back. I didn't wait that long but long enough I wanted a quality hunt... Should be interesting now

Remember the screw up where some people didn't get entered in the draw? Game and Fish determined that issuing tags to the applicants that did not get included in the draw would have no biological impact and did just that.

Remember the screw up where some people didn't get entered in the draw? Game and Fish determined that issuing tags to the applicants that did not get included in the draw would have no biological impact and did just that.

That is what happened to my group.

I know 1 of the guys who got the 19a it happens

I am willing to bet my app did not get entered somehow. Should have been a guaranteed elk hunt.

So here's a rant for you hunters, I had 7 points for turkey this year and decided to put in with a friend for a hunt with 4 tags and in my back yard. This unit started turkey hunts last year and this going to be the second year. Last year there were ten tags between two hunts and this year there is 8 total tags between two hunts. Long story short we drew two tags and a buddy drew two tags and come to find out his one tag says permit number 7..... Hhhmmmmm what's up with that, made a phone call and had a guy get back with me later today on how they didn't know the system put out 9 tags for the first hunt, my hunt. So now we went from 4 tags to 9 in the first hunt. How's that for wildlife management, a computer system that doesn't get checked issuing tags and essentially managing the unit. Double plus one for tags on the first hunt... What other hunts do tags gets allocated for on accident??? Freakin stupid that it's this bad and no one knew about it till I called. 7 bonus points I wish I could get back. I didn't wait that long but long enough I wanted a quality hunt... Should be interesting now

So if you were not put in for this hunt because of a DGF error and they gave you a tag you wouldnt take it?

That guy upland knows is me... but my tag was 1-4. If it makes ya feel any better about savin a bird i may not even get to hunt, baby girl due date right when the hunt starts...WTH! I'll figure something out to get out once or twice..hopefully. but yes...the rant is more about g&f screwing up than anything else. We dont know how many addit'l tags they gave out for a hunt that should only have 4 tags. Could be 10, could be 20...or more. Now the guys who legitimately drew the tag have to compete with more hunters than there should be, in a unit where everyone is hunting birds at the top of the mountain. Dont get me wrong, if i was one of the screw up tags id still gladly accept it, but the screw up shouldnt happen in the first place.

It wasn't a screw up, I put in for the hunt wanting three other hunters in an area that just started to be hunted. All the money and effort into transplanting these birds shouldn't be manage by mistakes and just give extra tags out. It happened to another unit and the hunt was two tags and now there's at least 8. The point is why is our game and fish still going the route they go and having issues every year with something. Ya if it was unit 1 or 5a a couple tags extra big deal. Now your talking more tags then the entire hunt for the year on the first hunt and in the other unit quadruple the tags... When we got our tags we had 1 and 2, congrats critter and good luck. And no I'm not saying anything about accepting tags or not. No one had a choice it just gave them a tag. Listening to a manager at gf talk how they had no idea it happened up here till now and so on was complete bs too, it's just a joke how they run the draw.

• Like 1

It wasn't a screw up, I put in for the hunt wanting three other hunters in an area that just started to be hunted. All the money and effort into transplanting these birds shouldn't be manage by mistakes and just give extra tags out. It happened to another unit and the hunt was two tags and now there's at least 8. The point is why is our game and fish still going the route they go and having issues every year with something. Ya if it was unit 1 or 5a a couple tags extra big deal. Now your talking more tags then the entire hunt for the year on the first hunt and in the other unit quadruple the tags... When we got our tags we had 1 and 2, congrats critter and good luck. And no I'm not saying anything about accepting tags or not. No one had a choice it just gave them a tag. Listening to a manager at gf talk how they had no idea it happened up here till now and so on was complete bs too, it's just a joke how they run the draw.

And obviously they don't care, if they did they would do something about it. Draw after draw they would fix it.

Simple truth of the matter is the draw system will have flaws NOTHING is perfect. It is only perfect on the other side of the fence from where ever you are now. Whenever they change anything with the draw its get FUBAR so maybe we should just deal with it a couple year. I also wonder why no one has said anything about the big picture on this one. Can the unit support the increase in harvest rate with the additional hunters? This seams to be a bit of a self focused post the big picture is there will be additional birds harvested. G&F did a wonderful job to bring the turkey flock back in several units and there has a been a decrease in many of those units since 2007. With errors like this and the over the counter youth hunts they have made turkey a revenue source hurting the flock.

Upland that is one of my issues and concerns. Last year there was ten tags total, two hunts of 5. This year there's 8 tags, two hunts of 4, now the first hunt has 9... Birds aren't the smartest when it comes to hunting so what's the increase gonna do to the flock. They didn't change anything with the draw, applicants simply didn't get added from what we are told and there for got their first choice on their app for merriams. All the efforts to get the flock where it is and simply just give tags away because of their mistake, not good. This post is to make people aware of paying attention to permit numbers and bringing issues out and maybe we can change something... Instead of calling and bugging the office girls with draw questions people should be making their voice heard to the commission and who ever that we need change.

They updated the website in the middle of the prior draw which is what changed how information was put in on this current draw. These changes effected the length of time between the draw and results for the deer draw and caused all kinds of errors in the spring hunt. The process hasn't changed but the information entry has changed.

ive often wondered how many extra tags they put out. i got a leftover tag one year, in the regs 450 tags, my tag number something like 489