Sign in to follow this  
MoHunter81

Colorado elk units

Well didn't get drawn for elk again here in Az so I'm trying to make some other plans. Could someone please give me some suggestions for the early season bow hunt in Colorado? Maybe around Durango?? pm me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Ok do you of any particular decent draw units?

units 50, 54,55,56,551,561,391, 461 have a early archery 95% draw odds.

7,8,9,19,91 have a 65% odds.

that is plus all the ones i described before.

Just have to get a long way from roads in any unit near durango. They get hammered without of state units

• Like 1

Ok thanks, do you think you would need horses? I was thinking about backpacking in?

also need to think if get one down, how long before you get it out.

jay scott had a podcast with a guy that takes you in with horses and pick you up, is not cheap but if you 8 or 10 miles in is worh it.

Yea horses do help. Do you know anybody that just rents the horses?? That might be cheaper

Just check with the outfitters. They can put you in touch with one who will supply them and the tack. Don't forget you will need feed, water and brushes.

If I lived in AZ and wanted to go elk hunting I'd look hard at doing one of the raghorn hunts on the reservation. I think tag pricewise you'll be in about the same amount of cash and won't have to drive so far. You're gonna be hunting the same size elk as you will in Colorado except you'll atleast get to see big Bulls on the Rez. Not sure if they sell those or if they are a draw but it's worth looking into. If you go on any of the websites for the pack trip guys in Colorado you'll quickly see that raghorns are pretty much the norm. We hunted there for 5-6 years and I saw one 6 pt in that amount of time, a 250 bull. We killed a few raghorns in those years and had a lot of fun but we worked really hard for the ones we got. It was a big deal back at camp if you heard a bugle!!