tommyboy1995

Tips for archery cow elk 4B? Never been..

Who cares if his first post is asking for advice. We all got advice from someone somehow. If i hunted that unit id gladly give all of bc777's spots to you. Lol

He can have all my 4b cow elk spots he wants. I'll draw him a map. And your statement of we all got advice from someone somehow is not true. Many people go into their unit without knowing anything about it and figure it out. I don't have a problem helping people as I've helped multiple people in multiple units but at least go give it a shot by yourself first and learn it somewhat instead of just wanting people to tell you where to go.

It was a joke about your spots. Even those who taught themselves how to hunt still got advice somewhere i am sure. I have hunted my whole life, taught by my dad.

That said i still do things in this order. My first starting point is always google earth these days. Next is local game and fish agencies, next would be internet searches and reading what is already on forums (because every unit in this country has already been covered on one of the many websites,) i do all that before i ever step foot in a unit. That way i am not wasting time in areas that suck. I do this out of state a lot, but also in state when i get bored of a unit and want to try a new unit.

• Like 1

OP here is a tip for the archery cow hunt. It is a hard hunt compared to the bull hunt. That time of year the cows have hightened senses. They hang out in big groups and eyes are everywhere. You can find them but dont push it. set up in their travel zones and wait for a shot.

OP here is a tip for the archery cow hunt. It is a hard hunt compared to the bull hunt. That time of year the cows have hightened senses. They hang out in big groups and eyes are everywhere. You can find them but dont push it. set up in their travel zones and wait for a shot.

Isn't it at the same time as the bull hunt? There's an October cow hunt but I thought that was rifle?

Op .. Don't know the area but I would say , grab some maps don't forget the binos and tripod ,and most importantly grab some beer on the way out .. Scouting is some of the best times, as there is no pressure to kill and you don't know what you will find. "Just roll with the flow.. Take notes and go from there .. Enjoy your time in the great outdoors. Good luck .. And have fun !

Isn't it at the same time as the bull hunt? There's an October cow hunt but I thought that was rifle?

Yes same time. The cows are harder to kill than the bulls.

I would disagree that the cows are harder to kill than the bulls. It's during the rut and I can't tell you how many times I've been after a bull and within range of all his cows multiple times when they bust out of there are never had a chance at the bull.

I would disagree that the cows are harder to kill than the bulls. It's during the rut and I can't tell you how many times I've been after a bull and within range of all his cows multiple times when they bust out of there are never had a chance at the bull.

I concur. Atleast when they are feeding by you can shoot the first one instead of waiting for the last one. I would say that killing a raghorn or spike might be easier then a cow since you can call him in.

• Like 1

when i had an archery cow tag i could have killed many bulls but couldnt get it done on a cow. I was younger and less experienced but the cows would not let me anywhere near them. I have killed many bulls on early and late hunts and consider it very easy.

I would hunt the water in the central part of the unit where it starts to look like antelope country. Elk water every evening. Starting about 3 weeks before opening day Set up where you can glass the more open country in the evenings and watch where the herds go to water. If you try to use cameras out there they will just get stolen. Set up a ground blind or two at a few tanks right before season. Some d bag might get their thong in a knot but you could leave note that others are welcome to use it when you are not there and leave an email address or text number

Get ready to do some hiking. Some steep up and downs. Make sure you have a buddy to help you retrieve whatever you kill. 4B has some tough areas when you are going after cows or late season bulls.

Get ready to do some hiking. Some steep up and downs. Make sure you have a buddy to help you retrieve whatever you kill. 4B has some tough areas when you are going after cows or late season bulls.

With the exception of chevelon itself, and maybe wildcat I don't think there's a spot in 4B that has more then a 150' elevation change? The places I've hunted in there were flat as a table top!

• Like 1

With the exception of chevelon itself, and maybe wildcat I don't think there's a spot in 4B that has more then a 150' elevation change? The places I've hunted in there were flat as a table top!
Agreed. 4b is one of the flattest units you can find. Wildcat and Chevlon are the only canyons out there that are somewhat deep in some spots. But if you do have the misfortune of killing in elk in a deep part of Chevlon that's gonna suck bad. It's the unit boundary so I would stay away from it anyway.