Sign in to follow this  
backcountry_brad

Eagles on the Salt

A couple years ago we seen a Big Male teaching and helping 3 young ( could not have been flying very long) catch and feed on fish... The young were feeding a large carp on a stump at the back of Salome at Roosevelt, when 4 of 5 buzzards tactically lured them and daddy away from their catch while the 5th flew in the back door and stole their breakfast... This Left The Male very upset , at which time he decided to take it out on the mud nests and I believe Swallows that line the dirt cliffs... he bombarded about a half dozen nests feeding on the young birds inside. 15 years ago it seemed like you would only see a couple of the few pair nesting up in the Tonto end of the lake ... The last couple years we see them all over the lake from tonto to Salt... and seeing them is always an awe inspiring moment.

Been a While but use to always fish under a pair at Horseshoe Cienega who had their nest in the tall dead pine right close to shore on the North East shore across from the boat launch... Been a few years but I am betting they are still hanging around.

Wow, I wouldn't have thought a bald eagle would bother with swallow babies! Neat sighting.

It was one of the craziest things I have seen in Nature as it really did seem as he went after the swallows nest out of pure rage and frustration after losing the fish ... We had slept on the boat overnight and it was not long after sun up that the eagles arrived .. was cool watching 2 of the young birds make several failed attempts at grabbing a fish before Pops swooped down and yanked a nice size carp out ... You could tell he was onto the buzzards and stood guard as the 3 tore into the carp but within minutes the buzzards had all chasing them while the other snagged the fish ( that was what I found so amazing as it did seem like it was very well planned )

• Like 1

Ah....how could I have forgotten.....Kodiak, Alaska......big birds everywhere up there in a beautiful setting as well!!!

Yup, they were thicker than seagulls at Dutch. At the end of the fishing season, all hands were on deck removing any morsels from the fishing nets so the eagles wouldn't chew thru the netting.

Have to see if I can dig up some pictures......they were not afraid!!!!!

Ive seen them at Sagauro Lake and I have seen the eagles catch fish at Pleasant.

There is one that hangs out at Arrowhead Country Club on the golf lakes too. Its pretty neat to see in town!

Not a bald eagle, but I watched a golden eagle dive bomb a coues fawn last year. It missed but it was a site I won't forget. It's crazy how fast they can maneuver.