Sign in to follow this  
dse

Question on building on a savage

Building a 22-250 AI on a savage model 11.

I'm looking for a decent stock to replace the plastic junk that came on it. Haven't been able to find a stock made for the 11 with bottom bolt release, but found one that fits a model 10 SA with bottom bolt release. Wondering if there is any reason this stock wouldn't work.

Savage made two different length short actions (bolt spacing) . Check the bolt spacing before you buy it.

Savage Centerfire Action Length Identification. To help determine what action you have, here are the action screw center-to-center measurements.

Long Action: 5.062" (all years)
3rd Gen Short: 4.400" (2006 - present)
2nd Gen. Short: 4.275" (1998 - 2005)
1st Gen. Short: 4.522" (1959 - 1988)
Striker:

Additional Notes:

- The 1st Generation Short-Actions are today commonly referred to as "J-Series". This is incorrect as a "Series" designation simply refers to a slight design change. Rifles marked "Series J" can be either a 1st Gen. short-action or a long-action.

- The 2nd. Generation Short-Actions comprise most of what you will run across.

- The 3rd Generation Short-Actions are the newest production models and can be easily identified as they will have the new center-feed magazine system. The only exception is rifles originally built in .223 Remington or .204 Ruger as Savage has yet to release a center-feed magazine for these smaller diameter cartridges.

**The best way to remove any doubt as to which generation of short action you have is to measure the action screw spacing.

• Like 1

Barrel channel is correct (heavy varmint) and both action and stock are 4.40" bolt spacing. I would have bought a 700 to build off of but originally it was going to be a cheap calling rig and when the factory barrel turned out to be bent, decided to fix it up the way I wanted it.

Model 10, 11, 12, 14, & 16 are all the same action. The different numbers just represent different options such as stainless or wood stock. For $120 the Boyds line of stocks are really nice for the money with my favorite being the Pro Varmint model. It fits really well and shoots nice prone off of a Bi-pod as well as off the bench with a rest and bag.

• Like 1

Please.....PLEASE tell me you got a fast 1 in 7" twist and will be running a 75-90gr. .224 bullet!!!

I have thought long and hard about that combo for a while now.

75 or 80 Amax

80 or 90 VLD

80 or 90 SMK

Long range varmint magic!

It will be a 26" varmint contour barrel with 1 in 7 twist. Bell & Carlson M40 varmint \ tactical stock, and it will probably get a timney trigger. I'm considering having it threaded for a break so it will be possible to watch the he bullet strike in the scope.

• Like 2

It will be a 26" varmint contour barrel with 1 in 7 twist. Bell & Carlson M40 varmint \ tactical stock, and it will probably get a timney trigger. I'm considering having it threaded for a break so it will be possible to watch the he bullet strike in the scope.

excited-baby_zps5cnsxqh5.gif

• Like 4

You might consider a chassis system for your Savage. The gun in the photos is a Savage Model 10 in 6.5X47 on a Masterpiece chassis.The thing is packed with features and a center feed magazine for a 308 Win should work for your 22-250. To get all the specs on the chassis got to the MPA web site. You can call them to see if there would be any issues with your Model 11 action, but I doubt it. One feature I particularly like is the level indicator in the chassis itself which is easily seen while aiming. This gun is capable of sub 1/4 inch groups with this chassis and a Barlein 8.5-7 gain twist 26" barrel. You can also glass bed the cation in the chassis if you want or use it for other short action Savage rifles you might have

post-11570-0-56782200-1462270888_thumb.jpgpost-11570-0-59096900-1462270937_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The chassis systems are a little too heavy for my liking. All my rifles spend a lot of time in the pack, and the pack is already to heavy. Ups just dropped off the new B&C yesterday so shouldn't be long before this thing is hammering coyotes!

• Like 2

It's here! Ready to fire form some brass. Rifle is 11 lb 14 oz with scope & bipod.

post-8228-0-51919000-1468010211_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Finally got this thing shooting like it should! Messed with several powders and a few bullets in the last couple weeks. Originally wanted to shoot the 75gr A-max but found that bad things happen to accuracy at the speed this cartridge will push it (at least in a 1 in 7 twist). Switched to the 80gr Berger vld and 41gr of Rl-22. I'm getting 3420 fps with an Es of 9post-8228-0-92773800-1474512931_thumb.jpg

100 yd group measured .235"

Backed up to 700yds, my drop was 1/2 moa low but the group was right at 2"

post-8228-0-31396300-1474513217_thumb.jpg

The coyotes are in big trouble!

• Like 2