I drew my first elk tag ever, in only my second year of hunting period. It's the early archery hunt. I'm going with a old friend that is more of a tree stand/ water hole hunter. I like to get some boots to the ground, and get away from the crowds. Not looking for a honey hole or e-scouting, but I need a little help since I'll be driving 8 hours from California just to scout.

All of the unit north of SR 260 should be good. Even south may work. They are everywhere. Good luck.

• Like 2

Be mobile hunt the whole unit if need be you have two weeks, but what do I know

• Like 1

I'm gonna give you the tip of the week friend !

The bulls are always more vocal up high.

The lower you go the tougher it is in the early season!

• Like 2

6A has around 3800 elk tags a year between all the hunts. Elk get pushed all over. Quality has slipped a ton in the last 10 years. Nothing you can do about the tag numbers this year, but please kill every coyote you see. Hike at least 10 miles a day for 7+ days and you will have decent odds of killing.

Also be prepared to call Operation Game Theft 1-800-352-0700, lots of illegal activity in 6A.

• Like 3

I had this hunt last yr, what I found is 90% of the hunters stay real close to the roads. With that said, there are roads everywhere but find some of the more inaccessible roads/areas and you will find elk. We were in elk everyday and good bugling activity. I had my opportunities to kill a couple big Bulls but I couldn't shoot straight! I thought it was a great hunt once u get away from the crowds.

• Like 4

I hunted it last year. Virgin elk hunt. I'm 100% full fledged hooked due to this hunt. Sent you a pm. Last year there were a couple guys on here that really helped me out (thank you guys for that). Although they didn't give me gps coordinates (which I appreciate), they helped a ton with general confidence and tactics. Sent you a pm.

• Like 1

Check out Game Planner Maps we provide tools for researching, map scouting, and in-field use. Its free to register and start using the Free Interactive Map Viewer. You can even print your own maps for FREE!

Use the Map Viewer to locate remote water sources and visualize seasonal ranges of the elk in 6A. Click Here to learn more about the map resources and tools at www.GAMEPLANNERMAPS.com

Nice Bull dunns!

post-14524-0-80414200-1463785055_thumb.jpg

• Like 1