Sign in to follow this  
John7979

Mohawk Valley hunt

Has anybody done the Mohawk Valley hunt that is year round? If so what's your experience, worth it or not? Know of any land owners that allow hunters? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

These hunts were started to help reduce pressure from Javelina on farmers' fields in the Wellton/Mohawk Valley. The javelina live in the thick, nasty, salt cedar infested Gila River bottom where it is literally impossible to walk, almost impossible to even get through on your hands and knees. These animals are highly nocturnal. They also have gigantic home ranges compared to any other pigs in Arizona. Small herd sizes due to coyote and bobcat predation on the reds. If you want any chance whatsoever I suggest contacting the Regional Office in Yuma and have them suggest contacts with the farms that want to reduce the impacts from them. Otherwise it takes a lot of time and/or a lot of luck to be successful. It also really helps when the weather is cold, so the javis have to consume as much food as possible to maintain heat and they stay out longer during daylight. That being said I have yet to lay eyes on a javelina in Yuma County. Heard them, smelled them, seen plenty or sign but never actually seen one. If you get a shot you better anchor it right where it stands. If they make it to the riverbed they are likely a goner.

Good Luck!

• Like 4

He speaks the truth! I got lucky and plugged a dink on the river one year. We bought tags for the "just in case" factor as we spent a fair amount of time out there calling predators. Never saw them with any consistency.

Whats up Johnny Boy!? still looking for ways to kill more stink pigs? haha How did your San Carlos pig hunt go? or Are you still waiting? That dang boar is still up in that guys yard. I'm going to get him in December. If you don't get him first..HaHa

• Like 1

Jeffrey! heck yes I am and I now have permission to hunt a farm down there where those pigs are at! First rain storm down there I'm going and if you want you're more than welcome to! The lady that runs it is way cool, she sent me a map of where they always spot them. And yea I have a plan for that big boar up there, let's make it a friendly completion on who gets him?!

• Like 1