Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Ever change steering bushings on your truck?

I have a toyota tundra and it looks like the rack and pinion bushings are bad. Shop wants $250 plus tax. The whole kit costs $25 for the poly ones. I have seen some people say easiest job ever. Some say worst and hardest job ever. Anyone ever try it themselves? Thanks.

Check out UTube. I am sure there is a video of how it is done. While I haven't worked on Toys, I have replaced bushings and other suspension components on Fords and Dodges and it is a pretty easy job.

YouTube it and see what you think.

Bushings can be easy or hard depending on the application. The right tools help alot too. The first time I did track bar bushings on my Dodge it was sure nice to have a blow torch to burn the old rubber bushings out. Without it that job would have sucked alot more.

Yes the rack and pinion bushings. The set of three. Was looking at the poly and not the rubber. Do I grease them heavily? Been trying to read up a ton and there are not many videos available surprisingly. Sounds like toughest part is pressing out the old bushings while rack and pinion is still attached but bolts out.

Yes, grease the crap.out of the poly bushings.

Do I grease the inside and the outside? Should I just stick with the rubber ones instead? Not mentioned online that I have seen about how to grease the poly ones. Thanks everyone! Really appreciate your experiences as they give me more confidence to tackle this one.

Grease them everywhere. Inside, outside, grease the sleeves inside and out, grease the bolts, and blue lock tight the nuts.

• Like 1

Ok. Got the graphite infused bushings today in the mail from energy suspension Jumped right on it after running to the store to buy some more tools. Took about 2.5 hours by myself but that is because I took my time not to break anything and had the hardest time getting the tie rods disconnected. Had to take off one more bracket than planned for space but otherwise worked great! Greased the crap out of the bushings inside and out. Everything lined up great going back together. Need to drive it on the highway but otherwise it drove great on a short neighborhood trip.

Thanks for everyone's help, especially hoss50!

• Like 2