Pac8541

Arrow speed and long range shooting

Is there a minimum velocity for shots at ranges over 60yds? I totally understand trajectory and a projectile bleeding speed at a non-linear rate as distance increases but at what point, at a given arrow velocity, does it become ineffective? Since momentum and Ke both depend on speed to a degree, there has to be a point where it becomes unacceptable.

I ask because I'm shooting an E35 at 27.5" DL and 71lbs. The arrows I shoot are upwards of 475gr and as high as 540. My velocities are pretty slow, relatively speaking, and if its impractical to shoot past 60yds then I won't bother buying a sliding sight. I'm playing with arrows in the 420 range but don't expect those to be the norm. I much prefer the solid shot feel and quiet nature of my bow with heavier sticks.

Anyone shooting slow and heavy; what's your max range?

Drop to 400s and with 2" fletch you should be fine. Only problem I've ever came across shooting long range with big arrows is that them suckers here it come and will duck it. My opinion only..

How far do you want to shoot and what speed are you at right now? I would think if you are talking 80-100 yds you would still be more than fine with a heavy arrow. There used to be an arrow speed calculator on a website that would give you speeds and kinetic/momentum at all ranges when you input your data. Cant remember what its called but maybe someone else will know.

Ron

I shoot a 4-pin slider and practice out to 100yds. Not because I'll ever shoot an animal at that range, but if you can shoot groups at 100 coming back down to 50 yds is easy. Having a short DL is really your limiting factor on KE.

I recommend getting a slider just because it's fun. The only thing that sucks is having to walk so far to retrieve your arrows.

Are you setting up for elk? If not I'd come down on arrow weight to reduce your time of flight.

I'd like to shoot out to at least 80 and with a 500gr arrow the bow is producing 248fps. I need to buy a chrono.

These are being built for elk but I'm also building a faster set alongside them. Faster for me means 420-440 range.

Ive actually come to realize the maybe this is just a stupid question. If I can shoot out to 80 with an arrow set that I build to 540 then I guess I just don't shoot that far with those arrows. If I'm anticipating longer shots then I just don't use those arrows. I'm sorry. It was late. I'd been drinking. My logic thought it could outsmart common sense.

I would always practice and shoot out as far as you can. It really does make 40-50 yard shots seem like a walk in the park...

Go to YouTube and look up Cam Hanes, he has hundreds of great videos. His draw length is like 26" and there's a video of him flinging arrows at extremely long range. He also goes over his entire shooting setup. Short draw does not affect him, it shouldn't affect you.

Go to YouTube and look up Cam Hanes, he has hundreds of great videos. His draw length is like 26" and there's a video of him flinging arrows at extremely long range. He also goes over his entire shooting setup. Short draw does not affect him, it shouldn't affect you.

I've watched some of his videos and they're pretty good. The guy can shoot, no doubt. But he's also shooting 80lb limbs, or higher. My shoulders don't care for that too much. In fact, before I bought the 70lb model I test drew an 80lb E35 and it was certainly doable but I didn't want to take the chance. I'm not all geeked out about this, just something I've been thinking about. I'd really like a Tommy Hogg but figured if my lower pin sits below my grip for anything over 50yds, why waste the money.

Chris: I'm referring to one of those dial sights with the geared track that would allow me to dial in a longer range than what fixed pins allow. I'm probably using the wrong term but you get the idea.

I'd like to shoot out to at least 80 and with a 500gr arrow the bow is producing 248fps. I need to buy a chrono.

These are being built for elk but I'm also building a faster set alongside them. Faster for me means 420-440 range.

Ive actually come to realize the maybe this is just a stupid question. If I can shoot out to 80 with an arrow set that I build to 540 then I guess I just don't shoot that far with those arrows. If I'm anticipating longer shots then I just don't use those arrows. I'm sorry. It was late. I'd been drinking. My logic thought it could outsmart common sense.

I remember hearing him say that he very rarely, if ever has shots on animals over 25-30 yards though. Even though he practices out to 120.

I always shot big fat heavy arrows when we all used aluminum. My friends were speed freaks shooting over draws and when carbon became the norm many of them had penetration issues. I have since settled on a benchmark of needing to achieve 300 fps with a 400-410 gr arrow. This combo has worked well for me.

While I can't speak directly to your exact question, I would be hesitant on longer shots with slower arrows for no other reason than time of flight. No doubt your heavy arrows will achieve lots of penetration but my concern would be if the intended target (vitals) will still be in the same place when the slower arrow arrives. Even a quiet bow is no match for the ears of a half way alert deer. I haven't had as much experience with the abilities arrow dodging elk.

Like anything else, I would say shoot what works for you and you are comfortable with.

I agree with what several have posted. Practice at long range make shorter shots in the field that much easier. Time of flight would be your biggest worry, not penetration. Folks were killing stuff for many years with heavy arrows going slow (by today's standards). Look at some of the numbers for guys shooting trad gear and you will see 450-500gr arrows in the 150-180fps range killing stuff easily within short distances. I am sure your arrow is still going that fast at 80-100 yards. ToF would be your biggest enemy.

you only need about this much in them to kill them

[----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]

doesnt take a lot. isnt 30lbs legal to hunt with now?

285 fps or below for maximizing arrow flight, buy the archers advantage online program to play with setups and kentic energy. There is way more involved such as foc, spine stiffness ext, at 60+ yards you really start to notice the arrow flight,