rancilio

Chiricahuas visit tips?

I have not been down there in a few years, and I hunted high when I did. I didn't see to much up there, but the area definitely had deteriorated since I was there last about 15 years ago.

I was definitely carrying extra ammo just because and I had my something with a 30rd mag around when I was at camp. 1911 in a shoulder holster with spare mags opposite. There were also 4 of us to help keep an eye on each other. We stayed in pairs at a minimum. Except the morning we dropped a guy on water and he had a pre-dawn stand off with a set.of eyes in the dark. It was a doe. He thought it might be a bear. He had my 44 mag so he was ready.

Harley

I did a leftover deer tag down there a few years back, had a good time. Saw zero reasons other than bears to carry guns. I did get stopped by border guard more than one time. I did get checked by game and fish more than one time. I stayed in turkey creek camp. I solo remote camped as well. Climbed some serious mountains back there. Be ready for some hiking from heck, trails are not maintained. I saw a little bit of litter with Spanish writing on it but no people.

Honestly I was having a little fun, but seriously my group has seen illegals coming over silver peak (they freaked at my white capped Ram 2500 even without a green stripe). We have also seen camps, bales of something, spent military flairs, discarded water bottles/cloths/shoes, etc. We do hunt separately, but group up and stay at Cave Creek Ranch for the night. I wouldn't camp there outside of one of the improved CGs, let alone remotely alone. It just isn't worth it given what has happened down there.

Turkey creek is one of the more populated areas with some traffic, so hunting that drainage we haven't ever seen anything and a camp there MIGHT be safe, but.....

The Chiricahuas are beautiful and I have seen some cool stuff down there both back packing and hunting. Yes, I would backpack again, but up on the spine around 9k. The illegals don't appear to stray up that far. They are trying to get somewhere you know. I would pack heat though.

I've had a lot of good experiences and bad there. Last year camped at 6500 ft and hunting close to 9,000 ft I had shots fired above my head from a group headed south with a heavy load and a few thirsty travelers swipe my water from camp with me sleeping just a few feet away.

I had shots fired above my head from a group headed south with a heavy load

I honestly don't know what I would do in this situation. One thing is for sure, it would be hard not to locate, close with, and...!

It's different for each person as to what is worth it or not. I've had so many good experiences and I'm not willing to be run out of our own Country that it is worth it to me. I am always armed and try to keep my surroundings in check. I had seen the people headed south long before they saw me, still pretty hairy situation that I hope doesn't happen again.

• Like 2

There is a fair amount of illegal traffic of all kinds, but theft from untended camps and vehicles is by far the problem most frequently encountered. Lock your car or truck, and don't leave anything the least bit valuable in sight. Don't leave your camp unattended, or camp near others who will be around during your absence.

One fallacy that has been promoted here is that you are safer up high. In fact, that is where most of the drug mules are traveling these days when they are heading for I-10 with their bales. If you're backcountry camping, stay in mid-elevation meadows or on a bench along one of the stream corridors. People smuggling is down low, for the most part (although the road into Rustler Park seems to be a popular pick-up point for small groups).

When my daughters and grandchildren come to camp, we usually stay in one of the lesser used campgrounds and spend our days exploring from trailheads that we can drive to. However, there are always a few other campers--enough to deter snooping by people passing by.

This ^^^^^^^^

Hunted a bunch down there in years past. This is exactly what I have found. Been About 5 years since I've hunted down there for deer but I quit doing because of the huge increase in traffic.

Brian