teej89

New from OH, soon to be AZ

Welcome to AZ! I grew up just outside of Columbus (Westerville) and have lived here in AZ for ten years now. Once you get used to the summer heat its pretty nice, beats the heck out of snow and constant gray skies. The hunting here is leaps and bounds better than Ohio when it comes to variety of game and public access. There are some things I do miss like OSU tailgating, Yuengling, and fall weather.

Shoot me a PM if you ever get down to southern AZ for some quail hunting.

• Like 1

Welcome! It sure is a nice day here in Phoenix 114F. Tomorrow should be much nicer, its supposed to warm up some. ;)

• Like 1

You guys are going to love it here! Arizona is, in my opinion, the greatest and most beautiful state in the union. Amazing lakes, rivers and an incredible amount of diversity in the landscape. Not to mention the amazing views the mountains provide. Phoenix isn't much of an amazing city, and Tucson is the WORST ;-) but if you get outside as you likely will as a hunter you will see nothing but beauty. Personally, I could never live anywhere other than the western states of WY, MT, ID, CO, UT, AZ, WA, OR or NM. I also hunt regulary up in WY and love it there, but you can't beat what we have going here in Arizona.

Does the GF like to hunt too? Let me know if you want to grab a beer once you guys get down. All of my hunting buddies have moved away to OR, WY, WA and CO, so the last couple seasons have been solo trips. My wife used to be my huntin buddy, but with the recent addition of a baby she hasn't been able to head out. I will be picking up a new pup in the next couple months, and will also be looking to train him to hunt with me.

• Like 1

I cut my teeth on rabbit squirrel, and groundhog hunting while growing up in Brilliant, Ohio. Wish you could bring me a few young groundhogs. It's only going to hit 118 today so don't rush it. :)

TJ

• Like 1

I cut my teeth on rabbit squirrel, and groundhog hunting while growing up in Brilliant, Ohio. Wish you could bring me a few young groundhogs. It's only going to hit 118 today so don't rush it. :)

TJ

I grew up in Cambridge, Ohio, it was always fun shootin those hogs in the garden. :)

TJ

I grew up in Cambridge, Ohio, it was always fun shootin those hogs in the garden. :)

Been to Cambridge many times as a kid growing up. :)

TJ

• Like 1

Welcome. My wife is a Youngstown girl.(well now old Lady 58)Must say She is still pretty tho. I grew up shooting them Groundhogs in Erie, PA. Not to much I miss From there. Moved here in 77......Good luck...................BOB!

• Like 2

you will love it here. just a word of advice as to buying hunting licenses and tags. Don't let the girl at Walmart tell you that you can buy a residence Hunting License before you have been here 6 months. When in doubt call Game and Fish and get it clarified. Here is the Fact Sheet I took off of their website.Resedency_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Welcome. My wife is a Youngstown girl.(well now old Lady 58)Must say She is still pretty tho. I grew up shooting them Groundhogs in Erie, PA. Not to much I miss From there. Moved here in 77......Good luck...................BOB!

My Bride is from the Youngstown area also. Never lived out there but fun to visit for the food. Love the hunting out here.

I worked for the Youngstown Sheet & Tube right out of high school 1970. I use to shoot the open hearth furnaces with gunite. A very hot job! :)

TJ

Those from out here or young guys that never saw a Steel mill ,That was real work .Sad to see them all gone. One small one left in Erie. I would rather see the polluted skies and the Jobs as opposed to what we have job wise now days. They are polluting the skies anyway in china making the steel. And its junk.....................BOB!

hahaha holy crap I didn't see this thread all weekend, never knew there were so many easterners out there in AZ. Granted I'm an OH transplant, grew up in central PA but the spring and summers you'd find me belly crawling the farm fields with the .222 chasing the whistle pigs.

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys! I'll definitely be getting in touch with you guys when we get into AZ. Everytime I read through this thread and the GF is in the room I'm like sweetie... i don't think we're ever going to be leaving AZ and she's just responds, yeah I pretty much already knew that lol ugh we're so excited to get down there and you guys are getting us even more excited.

Oh and my entire family was Bethlehem steel mill workers in Johnstown but my dad and uncle transitioned to the paper mills after the service. I worked the paper mill in the summers in HS and college, shift work, 100+ degrees and full humidity in the boiler house... makes me appreciate my office job, a little, i still hate sitting at a desk lol

Here's 3 mo fo ya;

Pop's from Erie

Ma's from Oil City

Grandad from Allentown