Sign in to follow this  
AmericanThunder

Delorme InReach

I am gearing up for some backpacking hunts this fall and am thinking about getting the Delorme Inreach. Does anyone have any first hand experience using it? I am more curious about the subscription plans more than anything. Any input helps. Thanks in advance.

I have the Delorme Inreach Explorer. I personally HIGHLY recommend it. I was hesitant to pick one up but my wife was super nervous about me heading out by myself all the time, especially after my 2nd ACL surgery. I would take it over the Spot any day of the week. Better satellite coverage, plus you get the added benefit of being able to communicate. You actually even have a direct line of communication with S&R, so you can explain why you need rescuing. That way they can be better prepared to assist you. You also get the added benefit of knowing they got your message. With the Spot, you actually won't know they got the message until they show up. I also like the fact the the Explorer has backup GPS. They are a little pricey, but I now consider it one of the most important items in my pack. If you'd like, I could let you check mine out at some point since it's a pricey expense.

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't talk to the subscription plan more previously. What did you need to know about the plans?

What jp0212 said!

I have one as well and it does what it says. The GPS screen is very small so not as useful as it could be is my only complaint. When we were in Mexico it was very valuable since there was no cell signal. You can send a message to your family all is good each day.

Subscriptions are always a pain. I make sure I pay in August or Sept knowing I will use it for at least the 6 month hunting season.

• Like 1

I have the Delorme Inreach Explorer. I personally HIGHLY recommend it. I was hesitant to pick one up but my wife was super nervous about me heading out by myself all the time, especially after my 2nd ACL surgery. I would take it over the Spot any day of the week. Better satellite coverage, plus you get the added benefit of being able to communicate. You actually even have a direct line of communication with S&R, so you can explain why you need rescuing. That way they can be better prepared to assist you. You also get the added benefit of knowing they got your message. With the Spot, you actually won't know they got the message until they show up. I also like the fact the the Explorer has backup GPS. They are a little pricey, but I now consider it one of the most important items in my pack. If you'd like, I could let you check mine out at some point since it's a pricey expense.

That would be awesome. Thank you!

Sorry, I didn't talk to the subscription plan more previously. What did you need to know about the plans?

Do you pay for the whole year, or just when you think you will need to use it? From what I could tell on their website it looks like you can pay for 30 days of service at a time for a higher monthly fee. I just wonder in the long term how that breaks down and what is more cost effective?

I'm currently on the monthly plan, which you can cancel at any time. I plan to switch soon to yearly though solely because I'm at 6 months and have canceled it yet. I like having it all the time, even in general hikes, scouting trips, etc. I found I end up using it more often than not so decided to keep it running. I'm on the $34.95 plan ($24.95 contract) and have never exceeded the messages or anything. I believe the plans are the same, with the exception of the price and contract. You are correct thought that every time you pay $34.95 it is good for 30 days. Hooe that helps. I live in Gilbert and work in Tempe, let me know if you'd like to check it out.

• Like 1

Purchased this device last January. Amazing buy. Being able to text love ones personal messages is great while having the get me out of there button available is good for peace of mind. I have the minimum plan with 10 texts per month. Each additional texts cost only 50 cents. No brainier.

What can you send as far as messages? Are they preset or can you send regular texts similar to a phone?

You can send preset messages as well as personalized messages. The preset messages get programmed in and can be edited, just not on the fly. It has to be done on your computer directly to the profile and then synced. The preset messages also do not go against monthly limit. Personal messages can be typed directly into the unit and sent, but you are limited on how many you get per the plan you select. The other great thing is that you can put the Earthmate app on your phone, then sync the phone to the unit. You can then use the app on your phone to text and send messages. The Delorme doesn't have a Topo map on it, as it only shows your relative position to waypoints. If you have the app though you can view pretty good topo maps that show hiking trails and trailheads, as well as quite a bit of other good info. I personally HIGHLY recommend the unit.

Sorry I haven't responded in a bit. Didn't see the updated thread. Battery life has been great. It hasn't died on me yet. I carry a backup battery though just in case, and also plan to pick up a small solar panel. Did you already get the SE? I strongly recommend upgrading to the Explorer. I carry a Garmin Oregon 600, but decided it was well worth the extra $50 to have a backup means of navigation. I may be a bit paranoid, but I have to venture out alone a lot, so I follow the "2 is 1 and 1 is none" philosophy with critical gear. I also carry a map and compass, which I am proficient with.

• Like 1

Love mine. Used it in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Alaska. I don't have the one with mapping. It is pretty limited and I rather use my onXmap. Plans are easy to turn on and off. They do charge to start up each time but it is worth it since I only use mine six months a year. I use their freedom plan.

One off my Colorado trips, I met a elk hunter who had a popular sat phone and was having problems talking to his wife. Used my inreach with no issues. I like how people can follow your progress by mapping your texts on google earth.

I will for sure be picking one of these up for my elk hunt in CO this year. Gonna go with the SE.

Sorry I haven't responded in a bit. Didn't see the updated thread. Battery life has been great. It hasn't died on me yet. I carry a backup battery though just in case, and also plan to pick up a small solar panel. Did you already get the SE? I strongly recommend upgrading to the Explorer. I carry a Garmin Oregon 600, but decided it was well worth the extra $50 to have a backup means of navigation. I may be a bit paranoid, but I have to venture out alone a lot, so I follow the "2 is 1 and 1 is none" philosophy with critical gear. I also carry a map and compass, which I am proficient with.

Haven't got it yet. I never hunt alone and have friends with other GPS's as a back up so I think i'm still good with the SE.

Haven't got it yet. I never hunt alone and have friends with other GPS's as a back up so I think i'm still good with the SE.

Lucky you! I used to have a solid group of buddies to hunt with, but they all moved away. My wife was also my hunting buddy, but then came the baby so she had to sideline herself. Can't wait for her to get back out there with me. I would still recommend getting the Explorer just in case. In the very, very, very slim chance you ever find yourself in a bad place, the $50 that seems like a big deal now will seem far more trivial then. You will be happy either way.

• Like 1