Sign in to follow this  
rageinthesage

Meat from animals in the rut

Weird question but my wife killed a buck on the late Kaibab hunt and an elk on an early rifle elk hunt, meat was taken care of immediately, quick death for both. I've personally harvested plenty of animals in the rut but I do not remember any of them being as gamey as her animals. But does the rut affect the taste of the meat; testosterone, lactic acid, mal nourished etc. I don't mind the gameness but it's pretty bad. Appreciate your guys input. Thx.

I killed a buck in January in the rut. Swollen neck leaking tarsal glands. He reeked but his meat was the just the same as the buck I killed in October. And every other deer I've ever had but I have always done all the butchering my self.

Not rut and not a buck but had a doe hit by a car in late July a few years ago and she ran to a lady's back yard. Long story short I got a call to dispatch it got a salvage tag. I bought ice and had the wife clear the fridge before The doe died. Gutless method used and quarters were cleaned and on ice as as I cut them off. They were in the fridge and clean 30 minutes from death. All the meat tasted bad! Back straps were tough and too gamy to eat. I got one good crockpot of green chili meat out of it and fed the rest to the dogs. It had to be the adrenaline of being hit by a car (broken leg) before being dispatched.

Yes I have the same outcome from an elk and deer, age also was a factor, lots of BBQ sauce or make jerky, taste great

Thanks for the replies. Both critters processed by Coconino Game Processing. I feel Dennis does a pretty good job.

I made bacon cheeseburgers the other day and the meat over powered the bacon, I liked it but wifey just ended up eating the bacon lol. It sucks even though I'll eat it, it's still a little rich for me. It won't go to waste but it's going to take a while to finish it off.

On a side note g&f aged her deer at three and I don't think her bull was over five.

Years back I harvested a buck on the Kaibab with my bow which was aged at roughly the same age as my wifes buck and it was the best deer meat I've ever had. So this leaves me scratching my head...

Killed a nice whitetail last September sent it to butcher was the best meat I've ate in years! Last November my dad killed 160 inch three point ! Sent it to a different butcher because other was filled up ! The Muley was older neck was swollen ready for rut to start! The summer sausage is good but everything else like steak cuts straps ! Are very old tasting ! Even the jerky wasn't very good!! Gave most of it away !

The only real 'gamely' deer I had was an archery muley in Jan. But I think the meat was tough and gamey more due to the distance and time covered after the shot (he traveled a fair distance) to expiration. Maybe...

there is quite a bit of information on how to rid meat of gamey taste online -

hanging or aging meat - if possible helps to improve the taste and tenderness of wild game

here agin lots of information online

I have an older refrigerator I use for this purpose - I will rotate them and rearrange them every day and rewrap in gamebags once they get bloody. this meat was fantastic after 5 days of aging. plus if you process yourself - it helps to do a little at a time - sometimes

there can be lots of reasons for gamey meat

twice I've had gamey meat - both times it was someone elses meat that I was kind enough to pay the butcher bill and acquire a freezer of elk meat -

usually its how the meat is taken care of in the field - during transportation to the processor or your home and even during processing.

added note - when my dog won't eat it - I won't either - lol

post-3096-0-05414300-1465400566_thumb.jpg

Grind it, season with ground meat jerky cure, smoke, and enjoy.

I shot the lead cow on my 1st elk hunt and she was practically inedible. Tried all the tricks in all the books to no avail. Enjoyed the jerky all summer on fishing trips, fall dove hunts into preseason scouting. Everyone loved it.

Bucks and Bulls taken in the Rut are generally more gamey ... It has to do with the hormones flooding their system and staying in the meat when killed ... If They have a big swollen neck they are going to have a more gamey taste. The older the Bull or Buck and how long into the rut is also going to make a difference. Key is quick clean dressing, cooling and hanging.

As mentioned above there are methods to help reduce the gamey taste but it will never be as good as a cow, doe or young spike Bull or Buck !

Nick, I know I have had some bulls that we shot outa cedar flats that all they did was eat juniper berries and they were quite gamey. The last bull I shot out of the pines tasted amazing, same with my deer. I have been told from my butcher that obviously there are alot of variables that make up how gamey the meat is and he has said that diet is one of them. My father in laws deer he kills off his farm all they do is eat corn or soy beans and they are pretty tastey compared to most deer I have tried.

• Like 1

cornbagger...HAHA! still makes me laugh!

James