Sign in to follow this  
Maverick351

What is preferred

I am sure this has been answered before (sorry) but (being hopeful and confident) when I take a big buck this year I'd like to get it mounted. What is the preferred method of skinning and such to take to a taxidermist? My last I did a euro mount on.

Talk to your taxi for how he wants it. Each one seems to have their preferred method.

• Like 3

You can't go wrong with taking the entire front half into your taxidermist. I basically tube them out, and cut the leg bones below the knees, and tube it to the base of the skull. Leave the lower legs and skull inside.

I start to cape it about mid stomach then split up inside of legs, the more cap is best, skin it to the last vertebrate, or brain stem cut neck off at last vertebrate, they'll love you and if you can cape out the head, cut about a 6in v from the back of each horn to the center of the back of the neck, glove out up from the noes, keep as much tear duck and push the eye in and cut as deep into the eye socked as you can, then cut the ears at the ear drum, then come from the back of the scull were you cut the v and work you way back to the front. Use a screw driver to skin tight around horn bases, then the cape should be loose from skull and come right off, put flesh to flesh together , roll it up. Keep dry and cold. He will love you , less stitching . Then you can do a European until its ready to mount. if this is to much to handle just get it to him asap. Don't drive around with it in the truck and try not to get it to wet if possible. Oh ya shoot a monster.

• Like 1

As it's been said before, it's probably best to talk to your desired taxidermist. Youtube is a great resource to find videos on caping game. Hope that helps