Sign in to follow this  
azmisfitfiend

Alamo Lake Elk Hunt

Hello CW crew,

I have read all the old posts on Alamo lake elk hunting on here and some stuff on other sites but it's all older info. My buddy travels for work and never knows if he is going to be home for one particular hunt. He came to me last week and was all stoked about this Alamo lake deal because its OTC and the hunt is open dated for months. I have been lucky and got drawn for elk hunts in unit 9 for 2 years in a row now, so i'm set. I want to help him out and tag along for this Alamo deal though. I know the success rate is low but to me. Hunting is hunting and if my boots or tires are on the ground, I'm a happy camper. Does anyone have any experience or stories with this hunt? I'm used to hunting up north, so this high desert stuff is foreign to me.

Thanks for the response but "good luck" doesn't exactly help me or offer any sort useful advice.

Wow, with a response like that, i'm sure people are going to line up to give a non contributing newbie all their secret spots! Good luck!

• Like 1

This is exactly why i don't "contribute" to this site very often. I didn't ask for any "secret spots". Alamo is thick thick stuff and any "spot" a hunter has isn't my concern. I was simply asking for experiences anyone has had at Alamo to start a dialogue and maybe stray away from the usual CW banter. I'm not a newbie and i have helped and shared my gps cords with many guys on here. So, with that being said. If anyone has been there and wants to share your experience, go for it.

• Like 1

here's some sound advice, leave the rifle at home and take some fishing poles. the fishing will be alot better than trying to hunt elk in the middle of the desert

here's some sound advice, leave the rifle at home and take some fishing poles. the fishing will be alot better than trying to hunt elk in the middle of the desert

Those are my thoughts exactly but he seems dead set on doing this, so I'm going along with it. It only seems remotely possible with a few utv's and a bunch of guys on walkie-talkies. Haha.

They are known to be there, but they don't seem to stay, they move through. It is strange but occasionally elk are seen up in the NW AZ desert, in very un-elk like country. In fact, I have seen a photo (with reliable eyewitness report) of a young spike bull off the Temple Bar Road. Jeeessshhh. Talk about a lost elk. I am also aware of the 400 class bull killed in an OTC unit, and have been to that spot, but it was not the Alamo hunt.

If you want to help your partner hunt the Alamo Lake hunt, it seems the best bet would be to make trips to the shoreline to look for tracks, and also check out the riparian areas along the Bill Williams River. I have no experience hunting that unit (except quail and javelina) but I have seen photos of bulls killed there (none big). Like most AZ hunting, good optics and glassing will save on tires and boots.

forepaw

Call the WM.

OIT - (old Indian trick)- search the fishing chat rooms and websites for elk sightings at Alamo.

Never seen any elk, but have heard reports of them being spotted in Big Sandy wash heading toward the lake.

Also a buddy of mine from Phoenix chased bulls in the thick salt cedars close to the lake. They are in there

just need to locate them its a long season. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the response but "good luck" doesn't exactly help me or offer any sort useful advice.

This is exactly why i don't "contribute" to this site very often.

are you sure its not because you have nothing to contribute to begin with?

• Like 2