Txhunter1

Arizona velvet mule deer trip tips?

Seeing as how this will be our first trip and we arent anticipating much im not going to be picky one bit especially since like you said we don't exactly have anytime to scout. First legal buck i see in range is taking a dirt nap! Thanks again for all the info. What type of boots do yall wear tall snake boots, boots with chaps or gaiters or just say screw it and risk it with regular hiking boots?

unless you are hunting the for southern boundary of 27, you shouldn't have too many snake issues. i spend a LOT of time in there and very very rarely see one

Thats always good to know! What kind of pack suggestions does anyone have. Read a lot about different ones but on the fence about them plan on making western hunts a yearly thing now and am looking for something to use for a long time but also not break the bank. As always thanks for all of yalls input!

Most guys out here run Eberlestock, Kifaru, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, etc.

• Like 1

Alright awesome that's pretty much what I had gathered from reading a bunch of posts on here. Was thinking about getting a bear tag of the quota wasn't met in the spring hunts is that something anyone has tried in this unit before while deer hunting?

great population of bears in 27. the hunt will still be open in august, it will be archery only though. bear tags only cost $30-40 for residents so it isn't as much of a gamble. i buy bear, lion, archery deer, archery turkey at the same time i get my license every year. you could buy the archery turkey tag as well and be able to deer, bear. turkey hunt simultaneously.

• Like 1

Yea I had planned on getting all of them figured why not already going to be out there might as well try and go for all of them. Anyone have any photos not just 27 but any Arizona success

great population of bears in 27. the hunt will still be open in august, it will be archery only though. bear tags only cost $30-40 for residents so it isn't as much of a gamble. i buy bear, lion, archery deer, archery turkey at the same time i get my license every year. you could buy the archery turkey tag as well and be able to deer, bear. turkey hunt simultaneously.

^^^This^^^^

I'd at least buy a turkey tag to go with the deer. I've had several chances to kill turkeys the last two years that I deer hunted there, but I didn't want to give up a day of deer hunting to mess with a dead turkey so I let them go. I told myself that after I got my deer, I'd come back for a turkey, but I ended up getting my deer the last day of my hunt both times, so ended up taking the turkey tag home.

I didn't get over there much last year and in 2014 I was only there a couple times and didn't see any bears, but pretty much every other year I've been there I run into them at least a couple times between scouting & hunting. I've only had one shot at one so far and missed, but there's quite a few blackies in 27.

Personally, for early season I use Camo shorts, earth toned t shirt, and my favorite running shoes. I have had my share of early season success. I have yet to see a deer, bear, elk etc that is not a solid color and nearly any running shoe is more comfortable than the most expensive boot and always is much more quiet to stalk in. Many of My friends and family that are into the high end Camo have crossed over to my thinking after a couple of excursions

The grass is always wet that time of year. How do you tolerate wet socks all day? My Meindl boots are a joy to wear. If I wore tennis shoes my feet would be bruised from heel to toe. Arizona is very rocky. I would not recommend coming out here in running shoes. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Yea I had planned on getting all of them figured why not already going to be out there might as well try and go for all of them. Anyone have any photos not just 27 but any Arizona success

here you go. Sept 1st 2014 archery muley and my Dec 15th 2015 coues buck. Trying to keep my 2 year bow streak alive this year. Good luck Arizona will throw Opprotunities at you when you least expect them so keep your Head on a swivel.

post-14400-0-47764200-1466516383_thumb.jpg

post-14400-0-91875800-1466516413_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

2014 coues from 27

post-1431-0-90215400-1466552427_thumb.jpeg

2013 muley

post-1431-0-76768600-1466552509_thumb.jpeg

Didnt make it over there last year, but hope I have a 2016 pic to go with these in a couple months. ;)

These deer were shot out of the same tree. Not at all uncommon to see both types in the same range.

• Like 1

whats the best way to preserve their velvet assuming i bag one?

Get it on ice as soon as you can and keep it cold until you get it to your taxidermist or freezer