Sign in to follow this  
duckhunter175

Wyatt's Mag Box Question

All,

I have a 7RUM build at the gunsmith now. Base action was a 300RUM BDL. It is getting a 26" Proof Sendero Light and a McM Game Scout Edge.

To increase the COAL I was looking at Wyatt's Magazine Boxes. I don't want the DBM with $80 magazines and the extra weight. I want to keep my BDL bottom metal and get to 3.825 or possibly even 4.000 of COAL.

Wyatt's has 3 boxes I'm looking at-- the CFE-9 (3.990 inside, center feed design) or the CFE-12 (3.825, center feed).... OR the MBE-3 (3.825 inside, stagger feed).

Any advise on which way to go?? Center vs Stagger and 3.825 vs 3.990??

Thanks!

I used the 3.825 SF on my 300 rum. It's long enough to seat the 212 Hornady Eld-x into the lands and still fit in the mag. You will lose 1 round mag capacity.

I think the stagger feed 3.825" would be sufficient. My .300RUM with 215 Hybrid or 210 HVLD are around 3.682" COAL with a .120" jump to lands.

But a lot will depend on your reamer and throat. Longer might not be bad, the worst thing would be having an extra .100" of unused magazine space, and you lose 1 round of capacity from 4 to 3. No big deal. If 3 shots aren't enough, you shouldn't be shooting at the animal anyway.

• Like 1

I forgot which one I have but mine fits 3.92" COAL with some to spare. Mine single stacks. I shoot a 338 edge. I can only have two down.

Sounds good-- leaning towards the MBE3 (3.825 with spring and follower). Should give enough length to adjust COAL and tweak handloads. Starting with 180vlds and Retumbo but have 7828ssc, H1000 and RL33 available. Any thoughts on those??

Not worried about follow up shots-- I totally agree with your philosophy there.

I use H1000 in my 7RM and .300RUM with fantastic results. Retumbo give slightly better speed in some applications, but is a dirtier burning powder, and H1000 has shown to be a bit more consistent and slightly more accurate.

• Like 1

Great to know! This is a bit of a jump up into different powders from loading for my .243 and 6.5x284.

Any thoughts or experience with RL33, H50BMG, RL50?

H1k where ever plausible. As lance said above, good stuff. I think my ES was something line 12 with my LRM, maybe 15.

• Like 1

H50BMG and RL50 are too slow.

No experience w. RL33. I have used RL22 and RL25 in 7RM and .300RUM with great results though. RL33 is a Very slow burn rate.

• Like 1

Great info on the boxes and on the powders! Thanks for the help. Keep yall updated when the guns are back in hand.