varnco

Tree Stand: Hang On or Climber for AZ

So, I've been doing some research, and can't decide which would be "better" for Arizona, and would like opinions of those that have used them in Arizona.

My consideration for "where" to use them would be the following game units:

22, 24A/B, 12a/b, 33

I know the climbers need a straight, limbless tree to climb, where a hang on can pretty much climb around such limitations (within reason).

So, my questions:

1. Which is easier to put up? I'm not interested in racing up a tree, just don't want to waste 1/2 hour in the dark putting up a tree

2. Which is more likely to be used given the type of trees we have in these units?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I have both. The climber is infinitely essier and faster to setup, not to mention much more comfortable, but the hang on is good for when there are no climber friendly trees around.

Im a little rusty with hang on stands now, but back before I bought my climber I got pretty good at throwing them up in trees and could get one setup in about 15-20 minutes depending on the tree.

Best tip I can give you on a hang on is they are a nightmare to try to hold in position when you are standing on treesteps 12 ft off the ground held up by a linemans belt. I dang near fell out of a couple trees when I first started.

So what you do is take a short length of rope up with you and a carabeaner clip so you can tie the rope around the trunk or a branch or something and then haul up the stand and clip it to the rope so it is hanging and you dont have to support its weight. Then you have both hands free to ratchet strap it and adust it into the position without supporting its weight.

Believe me, a fifteen pound treestand may not seem heavy on the ground, but they suddenly become huge, heavy and akward when you're suspended in a tree.

Whatever equipment you get, make sure you take it camping with you and practice setting it up and shooting from it before season. You dont want any surprises (like creaks or squeeks) when your buck is standing broadside at 20 yards or less.

Guest oneshot

Since your not supposed to use screw-in steps, you'll have to set-up a stick ladder/strap-on steps for a hang on type stand...

Climbing stand needs a straightish limb less tree...

A ladder type stand will go into most ANY tree...

Thanks for the replies.

So, in general, the trees in the units that I'm looking at (if there are trees :-). I could likely find both straight with no branches and not so straight with branches, equally?

I'm leaning towards a hang on with climbing sticks, but like the "ease" of the climbers. Low pack in weight is what I'm looking at, as I'm looking at hiking in 1 mile from the roads.

How difficult is it to attach and then climb up the climbing sticks? I'm considering the 3 or 4 pack that are strapped in sections to the tree.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

So, in general, the trees in the units that I'm looking at (if there are trees :-). I could likely find both straight with no branches and not so straight with branches, equally?

I'm leaning towards a hang on with climbing sticks, but like the "ease" of the climbers. Low pack in weight is what I'm looking at, as I'm looking at hiking in 1 mile from the roads.

How difficult is it to attach and then climb up the climbing sticks? I'm considering the 3 or 4 pack that are strapped in sections to the tree.

Thanks!

If youre looking to pack in, forget the treestand and jump on ebay or archerytalk and find yourself a tree saddle. They can be used in any tree and are 1/4 the weight of any treestand, plus it doubles as your safety harness. I hunted out of these in nebraska last fall and they are the chit when it comes to light weight & mobility.

I hear they no longer sell them new, so you'll probably have to find a good used one.

Guest oneshot

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks!

Chances are the tree you want to set-up in will have branches, twist/lean that make setting a stand tough, so you end up in another tree thats easyer to set-up in, but not right where you want it... ladder angle,tree angle at stand height...

You should really practice setting-up before you haul into the woods to hunt, setting a tree-stand, correctly, is a matter of life and death...

Shooting from a tree-stand is different then off the ground also, sitting or standing...

Guest oneshot

Setting the stand so you have your bow hand faceing the dirrection you expect game to come from(left-side for a right-hand shooter), makes less movement at the shot...

Cover from the thickness of the tree trunk/branches, avoid sky-lining from a stand alone tree...

Biners and haul rope(550cord) to bring bow/gear up the tree...

Keep your bow ready to shoot, in your hand, game comes in quick and it really sux to be reaching for your hanging bow in slow motion while a critter passes by...

Safety harness...

If I have a choice in the matter, i like mine positioned so that the deer walks past me and I get a quartering away shot. Easier to draw and not get busted if they're facing the other way.

In theory.... that yet to happen. Alll the deer I've shot out of a treestand so far came from the wrong direction. Bit one of these days itll go exactly as planned, and itll be pretty awesome.

12' up??? I always hung mine 20-30' up. Only tie I even got busted was by a flock or turkeys. Even had a lion sit off 50 yards watching the same tank I was for 30 minutes and he never saw me.

Since your not supposed to use screw-in steps, you'll have to set-up a stick ladder/strap-on steps for a hang on type stand...

Climbing stand needs a straightish limb less tree...

A ladder type stand will go into most ANY tree...

do the ladders not spook them?

tree saddle doesnt look like my thing. I need something solid under my feet. thanks, though, I didn't know that they exist.

it appears trees are likely to have branches, so a hang may be the better choice if I were to get just one stand? I have a ground blind already.

I dont think a ladder would be good, if I am hiking 1 mile plus. I will have to take a 2 hour nap when I arrive at my tree and will miss the morning hunt.

is a hang on more difficult to put up as a climber or about the same with practice?

I will practice with either that I get before going into the field, along with shooting from it.

thanks for the other tips too.

i tried a climber this january, and liked it. you don't have to worry about those pesky screw in steps, either. of course, they don't work in a juniper tree so well.

tree saddle doesnt look like my thing. I need something solid under my feet. thanks, though, I didn't know that they exist.

it appears trees are likely to have branches, so a hang may be the better choice if I were to get just one stand? I have a ground blind already.

I dont think a ladder would be good, if I am hiking 1 mile plus. I will have to take a 2 hour nap when I arrive at my tree and will miss the morning hunt.

is a hang on more difficult to put up as a climber or about the same with practice?

I will practice with either that I get before going into the field, along with shooting from it.

thanks for the other tips too.

Hang ons are pretty easy, just practice a little. The main problem with packing them in is the weight. Treestand + ladder steps + harness.... If your packing in anyway, make sure you take it in & drop it off before your hunt. You could easily end up with an 80+ lb. pack if you take it in at the same time as all your camping gear & hunting stuff. 1-2 mile range isn't terrible for making multiple trips. You don't want to get all sweated up before hanging out in a tree all day and have the wind blow your b.o. all over the place.