TOBY

Spare tires

Got a call from the daddy in law a couple months ago. Newer truck he picked up at the auction has a tire blown on the 101.

He's so busy he never thought to look under the Tacoma for a spare. Not only was there no spare but no tools to lower one, no Jack, no lug wrench.

I'm guilty of not knowing where my spare tire kit is in my Tacoma! Never looked for it, have a jack and lug wrench separate, extra spare in the bed and the common sense to get the spare underneath if needed. Most factory kits are a joke, they get you by if needed. I like to trust my tire changing equipment.

I additional to checking for the presence of an actual spare, check every lug nut to make sure you can loosen it. Many times the kids at the tire shop put the pneumatic impact wrench on 11 and let fly. Generally I remove and reinstall flats myself and just have the shop repair them so as to avoid over tight lug nuts.

Consider a German car. BMW's come with run flats, but VW's have a real honest full duty spare tire with the proper tools in the trunk. Don't let the colored stickers fool you, read the tire. My wife and two kids drive VW's and for this reason I am glad they do.

Every Toyota truck I have ever owned has had a real jack and full size spare. I have had 3 tacomas and 2 tundras.