Atekie

Unit 22 - need help!

I am new to Unit 22 and need some general direction.

Both my 11yr old daughter and I drew elk tags in Unit 22, she has a youth cow tag and I have a rifle Bull tag after Thanksgiving. I have read the general recommendations by Game & Fish, we are going to start scouting in a few weeks for the cow tag and was wondering if the places they mention are the best places to start (south of golf course for cow tag, and dude burn for bull).

Things to consider:

- I have an artificial knee so I am unable to do difficult hiking/climbing.

- We will be staying in Pine, would be awesome to hunt close by

- We would like to not have to compete with 100's of hunters, so we get that means getting off the main road and hiking in. We just need to know areas to hike to :)

- This will be my first bull hunt

Really appreciate any constructive help!

Thanks in advance!

Man. Just scout around the dump, you'll do fine there

• Like 2

Elk everywhere from Payson north. Find a place with some sign and walk ridges.

• Like 1

If o was hunting with a kid I would probably stay in the pines and find a pocket in a traveling corridor. The manzanita choked areas against the rim could suck the joy out of it for a youngster.

For your bull hunt, do what you do on every other hunt. Get up high and glass.

• Like 3

Save a bull for me! I have the 2nd late hunt. On the jr. Hunt last year the bulls were still talking which made it somewhat easy to fund them and their cows. It will also give you a good idea where to find the bulls in Nov.

This pic was taken 2 weeks ago in 22!!

post-12289-0-55284600-1467650160_thumb.jpg

One of the harder units to hunt terrain wise in my opinion for someone who has difficulty walking. All the areas where Bulls will be in November aren't going to be easy walking.

• Like 4

Understood, but can you give me an idea on what canyon I should focus on?

No. That's your job.

• Like 6

My first bull hunt was in 22N. It's a beautiful unit, but the terrain can be tough. While scouting we found a group of guys on a youth cow hunt (Grandfather, son, and grandson). We helped them find a cow, helped them quarter it, and then we were lucky enough to help pack it out (uggggg :( ). When our hunt came, I killed a small 4x4 opening morning (first 10 minutes of light), and didn't have it packed out until late that afternoon. I was exhausted, scratched, scraped, sore, and ready for bed. The very next morning my buddy killed a decent 6x6, and we did it all over again (he shot his bull within 3/4 of a mile from mine). I've probably put 100-110 miles on my boots in 22N. Miles on your boots, and time glassing is the only way your going to give yourself a chance. But don't go scouting too soon. There is a resident elk herd there, but a lot of elk migrate in for those late hunts. It's hard to scout them before they're there.

My bull.

20131129_075147_zps616c9e6b.jpg

My buddies bull.

CAM00040_zps56bccd80.jpg

Cow we helped with

IMG950208_zps429c1bc8.jpg

Get ready for a lot of this kind of terrain. Shooting one here is one thing. Getting them out is another. This is not a road hunt kind of unit (or at least not where we hunted). I've since changed units (after one hunt in 22N). Packing out 3 elk with a combined 15+ miles, through the thickest stuff I've ever been in, and part of it straight up hill was enough for me. Lol. I don't mind packing them out, but these hills were brutal. And it's thicker than crap in a lot of areas. There are a lot of elk there though, I will give that to the unit.

20131127_152451_zps6c4499ca.jpg

20131129_074712_zps01f1034a.jpg

20131130_071333_zpsaece4ba6.jpg

• Like 1