New Mexico rut

I might be fortunate enough to get a tag in New Mexico this fall on some private land near Grants. I've never hunted there so my question to those that have, is the rut around the same time as Arizona? Sooner or later? My options will be an archery tag September 2-25, muzzle loader October 5-9, or muzzle loader October 5-12. I'd really like to get out there with my bow but I want really would love to be there when the Bulls are screaming. Thank you for any advice.

I killed a bull near springer 2 years ago. The dates were October 5-12th rifle. Unbelievable rutting, fighting, and shear quantities of elk. Good luck! It was on the UU bar cattle ranch. Look em up. I did the management bull.

• Like 1

I'm guessing your in unit 12? How big is the ranch? All landowner tags in 12 are ranch only so make sure the ranch is big enough to actually hunt. I've seen them for sale on a 600 acre ranch that doesn't have a tree on it so be careful what you're getting. If you have a ton of land with lots of elk them archery or muzzy will be fine. Those datesnfor muzzy would get me to bite as I like bowhunting elk but I LOVE hunting them in rut with a firearm. I've hunted the 13 muzzy hunt a bunch and it's a week or two later then that and there always rutting really well leading up to hunt but they peel out of the cows the second they get pressure.

• Like 1

I'm guessing your in unit 12? How big is the ranch? All landowner tags in 12 are ranch only so make sure the ranch is big enough to actually hunt. I've seen them for sale on a 600 acre ranch that doesn't have a tree on it so be careful what you're getting. If you have a ton of land with lots of elk them archery or muzzy will be fine. Those datesnfor muzzy would get me to bite as I like bowhunting elk but I LOVE hunting them in rut with a firearm. I've hunted the 13 muzzy hunt a bunch and it's a week or two later then that and there always rutting really well leading up to hunt but they peel out of the cows the second they get pressure.

No it's on Acoma. So you think the archery dates are better? Thanks guys for the info.

No it's on Acoma. So you think the archery dates are better? Thanks guys for the info.

Nice!! I'm very jealous!! As far as rut goes I would go the 18th-25th if I had to pick the best dates for elk rut. I would compromise and go in October with muzzleloader personally but that's because I like the extended firepower. It sounds like you are wanting to bowhunt so I would do that if that's your MO. The rut will be better in sept then oct for sure! Awesome tag. I've hunted the fringes of that Rez before and there are some toads in there. Low elk density so don't expect to see a ton but keep your chin up cuz when you do it'll be a bomber.

• Like 1

Im from grant. Acoma has some giant bulls and so does the surrounding unit which is unit 13. I would def consider later sept as the rut will be full swing ar that time. Pm me.

• Like 1

Did you sell a kidney?

Fortunately no, but if I had to I would definitely consider it lol, one would work fine Id think

In new mexico the bulls scream really well from what i've witnessed from being there for at least 8 rut cycles all the way through october 10 th. Then it starts to slow down pretty quickly.

• Like 1

The bull I killed in Unit 9 by Mount Taylor was a ML hunt and they were rutting on Oct. 13th. They were bugling all night and the bull I killed was walking around a bedded cow screaming his head off.

• Like 1