Sign in to follow this  

anyone got their money back yet?

finally got my refund. i can walk a lot easier now that my wife is off my back. whe ain't got no school clothes shoppin' to do so i'm wonderin' what she's gonna buy? "WE" need a new wall tent. Lark.

Tony, I might consider breaking the other arm if it would get me a Rocky Mountain bighorn tag. I suspect the turkeys we shot along Ash Creek in the Galliuros north of Willcox in the late 1940s and early 1950s were Gould's. If so, I have eleven of the twelve animals you've listed.

However, I think the Arizona Big Ten should remain what it is -- the ten species of game animals found in this state. There are at least two subspecies of mountain lions here, and there's no telling how many races of the other species there are in addition to the two sheep and two turkey subspecies.

I'm not proud of the once-in-a-lifetime Arizona buffalo I shot on House Rock Ranch in 1956. To know why, check "Bless The Beasts And The Children" at your library. I was just 20 years old and had no idea how bison were "hunted" in Arizona in those days until I drew a tag, drove up there and "harvested" one. (With bison hunting in the 1950s in Arizona, the word was perfectly apt.)

I redeemed myself by shooting another bison in Colorado with an original 150-year-old Alex Henry .45-caliber muzzleloader shooting a paper-patched 500-grain bullet. Its energy and velocity were close to a .45/70's and dropped it in its tracks.

Bill Quimby

Yeah, I bet those were Gould's around that area at the time. I don't recall exactly when they disappeared in AZ, but it was after that.

I agree on the original Big Ten, especially with the introduced RM sheep. Wasn't Bob Householder the one that originally put together the AZ Ten thingie?

That Houserock hunt was going on when I first moved to AZ and continued for quite a few years after. Getting rid of it was a no-brainer in reality, though the movie, which I have seen several times, likely hastened the demise.

I just started applying for a bison tag a couple years ago, mainly because I haven't had much desire to shoot one. If drawing a tag goes the way drawing my sheep tag has gone, my bones will be long rotted into dust. -TONY

I got a refund back but is not mine.

anybody know a feller by the name of johnny d. kemp got a check for him from game and fish.

Tony, I might consider breaking the other arm if it would get me a Rocky Mountain bighorn tag. I suspect the turkeys we shot along Ash Creek in the Galliuros north of Willcox in the late 1940s and early 1950s were Gould's. If so, I have eleven of the twelve animals you've listed.

However, I think the Arizona Big Ten should remain what it is -- the ten species of game animals found in this state. There are at least two subspecies of mountain lions here, and there's no telling how many races of the other species there are in addition to the two sheep and two turkey subspecies.

I'm not proud of the once-in-a-lifetime Arizona buffalo I shot on House Rock Ranch in 1956. To know why, check "Bless The Beasts And The Children" at your library. I was just 20 years old and had no idea how bison were "hunted" in Arizona in those days until I drew a tag, drove up there and "harvested" one. (With bison hunting in the 1950s in Arizona, the word was perfectly apt.)

I redeemed myself by shooting another bison in Colorado with an original 150-year-old Alex Henry .45-caliber muzzleloader shooting a paper-patched 500-grain bullet. Its energy and velocity were close to a .45/70's and dropped it in its tracks.

Bill Quimby

Yeah, I bet those were Gould's around that area at the time. I don't recall exactly when they disappeared in AZ, but it was after that.

I agree on the original Big Ten, especially with the introduced RM sheep. Wasn't Bob Householder the one that originally put together the AZ Ten thingie?

That Houserock hunt was going on when I first moved to AZ and continued for quite a few years after. Getting rid of it was a no-brainer in reality, though the movie, which I have seen several times, likely hastened the demise.

I just started applying for a bison tag a couple years ago, mainly because I haven't had much desire to shoot one. If drawing a tag goes the way drawing my sheep tag has gone, my bones will be long rotted into dust. -TONY

Yes, it was Housholder who started it when he was editor of the old Arizona Wildlife Sportsman magazine, and it was Bob Hirsch who dropped the award when he replaced Housholder as editor. (Hirsch at the time said he could not defend such an award.) It was revived by the Arizona chapters of Safari Club International four or five years ago. I've heard other organizations have similar awards but, as I understand it, all require that the hunts be non-guided. In my mind, this eliminates most hunters because of the lion category. They either have to be damned lucky and stumble into a lion while hunting something else, or have their own trained hounds.

Funny thing about the early bison "hunts," all of the state's sportsmen's groups and a great many hunters defended the way Game and Fish was conducting the shoot, mostly because anti-hunting groups were trying to stop it. I can tell you as one of the shooters, though, that it was bloody awful to be reduced to being a "management tool."

Two friends of mine have taken bison on Houserock in the past few years, and both claimed it truly was a great hunting experience. We can thank Cleveland Amory and Alice Harrington and all the now-dead animal rights pioneers for making our game department wake up.

Bill Quimby