Sign in to follow this  
Presmyk

22-250 barrel life

I am loading 40 grn vmax on top of 38 grns of imr4064 witch is max charge. My question is if u cool it down 2 grains or even 4 how much of a difference that would make? It's just my varmit calling gun so I'm not running box after box through it.

Shoot it however it shoots best and don't worry about barrel life if it is a hunting rig. It will outlast you.

That's what I figured. If can't be slinging lead at 4000fps + might as well be shooting a 223 lol

I shot 50 V-MAX @ 3790 out of my 22" barrel that absolutely hammered everything I ever hit with it.

I replaced the barrel on my 22-250 in 2012. Bought it in 1990 and if I had to guess probably put 3500 rounds through it. Killed everything from a couple couse to a squirrel with it. The gun liked hot loads. If it wasn't 3500 rounds it wasn't much over 4000. I replaced it with a Mcgowen barrel and it shoots better now then it ever did or maybe I got better over the years, which I doubt.

For those that say it is to light for couse, dropped a 110 inch buck at 400 yards in his tracks and a 85 inch 2 point took 3 steps from 250 yards. It loved plain old 55 grain remington factory soft points. I put a 1-10 twist to shoot heavier bullets and it still handles the lighter bullets just fine, have not tried anything lighter than 45 grain bullets.

The barrel went with no warning. One day is shot 1/2 inch groups the next day a full choke shotgun was tighter grouped. Lost about 3 inchs of rifling just out of the chamber. You should get years of good use out of a great caliber.