MathewQuigly

Any missing

I'm just starting to think about trail cams and wondered has anyone had their cams come up missing?

I don't want to buy a nice one just for someone to steel

Ive had them left alone and ive had a few taken. best advice i have is go mid range and set them up far enough back in from the roads to keep them out of sight. also ive found thatputting them up higher in trees helps prevent most people from ever seeing them if you hang em right.

• Like 2

Grab yourself a beer and some chips and then search stolen cameras on here. It should keep you entertained for awhile.

• Like 5

I've had my share of stolen cameras, stolen data cards, broken cameras and stolen salt licks in unit #27. Very disappointing to see how low the morals have dipped on outdoorsmen these days. I've now gone to a two-fold purpose of placing my cameras in the woods..........some cameras are for the animals.........and some cameras are for the low life thieves. Stay tuned to help me identify "potential thieves" in the future on this forum!

• Like 3

stolen salt lick sound like a lot of work. I'm guessing a salt block? stealing a $6, 50lb block doesn't sound worth while to me

• Like 3

Yes unfortunately I've had 25# half blocks stolen and the small 4# blocks even. You have to wonder what the motives are in those cases and what type of people are doing that. Other hunters, guides, USFS, ranchers ???? That never happened the first 35 years of me placing salt, in some pretty remote areas I might add. I don't understand what has happened to morals about the last 5-10 years. Any guesses??

i blame the lack of morals in the last 5-10 years on Obama.... i use loose salt. it would require a backhoe and dump truck to steal. I don't like using the salt blocks because cattle really tear them up and people can find them easy. i get photos of people pretty regular that walk right through my salt licks and don't even know it's there

• Like 2

Wow!!! that's pretty rediculous.

I have always used granulated as well. Hard to take when it's soaked into the ground and as mentioned hard to see.

What I have noticed is the deer will dig for the salt after it has been washed into the ground whereas the elk don't seem to do that much...... which is why I prefer the blocks rather than the pellets (being that I am personally more focused on elk hunting rather than the deer hunts). But I agree you should have much less theft issues with the granules rather than the salt blocks. Funny Greyghost 85 I was thinking the same Obama analogy as you when I made the moral concern statement!

It funny I've been way out in the desert on horse back and run into TCs and never once thought about messing with it other than to smile and wave (cause I look good on camera lol ) as I went by. I guess it's a different mentality

The more you have and the longer you run them, the sooner you will have some stolen. It is only a matter of time, especially if you put them anywhere near water. Lockboxes help. I have donated more than my fair share to the sticky fingered forest gypsies...