Txhunter1

Arrow flight at higher elevations?

Coming from Texas to hunt in August and was wondering after reading a few things if my arrow will hit higher than normal because of air densities at elevations. Sea level to 5000 - 8000 ft? Essentially wondering if what I read is true and how much it really will affect it.

I live at 3000 ft. elevation and notice a yard or two difference in my sight tape each year when I shoot at the Sunrise 3D tournament which is at 9000 ft. elevation. It's not a drastic difference but you'll want to shoot at the higher elevation and adjust if needed before you hunt.

what he said ^. from previous conversations i've had with you, the elevations you're going to be hunting are probably 5-7,000 feet. take an hour or so when you get there and shoot. you will probably need to tweak your site a little bit.

I would agree. The air gets thinner the higher the elevation so that would mean less resistance, which in turn let the arrow fly faster and further, just my opinion ..

• Like 3

It seems like this has become a popular internet subject these days. Personally, I don't think you'll notice any difference. I hunt the extreme high and low elevations of Arizona each year with my own tags and with clients. Out of literally thousands of extreme elevation changes over the years, I've personally never noticed any difference. And for sure nothing worth adjusting sights over. Not even in the old days with slower bows.

I'm not saying the comments above are wrong or anything like that. I'm just saying that in my personal experience with hunting I've just never noticed it.

Good luck on your hunt! Are you coming after Coues deer or Mule deer? Or an area with both?

• Like 3

Hunting Unit 27 heading out a week from today got a 14 hour drive and gunna scout the 18th before the season opens i know a heck of a lot of scouting time haha but its all i can manage being this far away. Our main focus is mule deer but obviously not going to pass up an opportunity on a coues granite the shot presents itself. Also picking up a bear tag as long as the season is still open.

Short answer is yes. Depending on set up and distance you may not need to worry about it. I would hope you would fling some after your trip up there to check your rig so at that point you will know. Good luck on your hunt.

It seems like this has become a popular internet subject these days. Personally, I don't think you'll notice any difference. I hunt the extreme high and low elevations of Arizona each year with my own tags and with clients. Out of literally thousands of extreme elevation changes over the years, I've personally never noticed any difference. And for sure nothing worth adjusting sights over. Not even in the old days with slower bows.

I'm not saying the comments above are wrong or anything like that. I'm just saying that in my personal experience with hunting I've just never noticed it.

Good luck on your hunt! Are you coming after Coues deer or Mule deer? Or an area with both?

I won't actually go into it in depth but its all a principle of physics. Two items dropped at the same height will hit the ground the same time no matter the weight of the object since gravity is a constant and equal force. The arrow is "dropped" once shot and will hit the ground at the same time just like a bullet. However, the arrow does deflect air causing resistance which may slightly impact the duration of flight. Overall, it's minimal.

I believe Myth busters did a cool episode on a bullet travel and when it will hit the ground. Either way, it's always a good practice to practice in the similar environment you are going to hunt if you can. Otherwise, I wouldn't give it too much concern.

You may need to adjust for your longer ranges.. You won't even notice at 20 but 70 will prove to be different.

Its bow hunting... we do it to get close to the animal right? take your time slip in close and kill him under 25 yards. I bet you'll hit exactly where you aim.

• Like 1

Tonyc- dont forget all objects fall at same rate of acceleration ONLY IF "in a vacuum", not in real life.

• Like 1

With lower atmospheric density arrows will gain velocity and pin gaps will indeed change. Compare with graphics below. No gang adjustment will fix that. The easiest and surest way to reduce velocity: lower the poundage of your bow, a little. At altitude, Go to your farthest comfortable pin setting and shoot, remove a little poundage (1/4 turn at a time) and verify. This keeps your pin gaps relevant and negates the need to completely re-sight in. I lose confidence readjusting everything. With this method you just ticker off a little poundage and test till your pins are right, then when you go home, crank up to original poundage and you will be dead on.

post-1816-0-88716800-1471393546_thumb.jpgpost-1816-0-48299100-1471393563_thumb.jpg