Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

223 Reloading for Hunting/Accuracy (Updated with success)

Already having a decent scope laying around combined with a $50 rebate, I bought a savage axis heavy barrel chambered in .223 for all around purposes. It was too appealing to have a rifle for the price that is affordable and enjoyable to shoot, but also something that can destroy coyotes at longer ranges, be at least slightly useful in a SHTF situation, and possibly supplement itself as a Javelina rifle for a family member in the future.

After a proper 50 shot break in with quality Hornady 55gr FMJ, I'm ready to reload with once fired brass and some H335 I have been using for reloading the AR.

I've researched past discussions but would like to reach out and get advice from some 223 reloaders on bullet selection.

I'm looking for a bullet to develop on that has the best combination of accuracy and effectiveness on coyotes, javelina, and maybe even a Wyoming Antelope fawn.

Rifle has a 1 and 9 twist and a 22" barrel. My selection was down to-

1. 65 gr. Sierra GameKing BT

2. 70 gr. Speer Semi Spitzer

The 60 gr. Nosler Partition was up there but they are boxes of 50 and end up being twice the price.

Any insight on these bullets on game and accuracy or alternative recommendations?

Thank you!

52 gr Bergers for yotes and 60gr partitions for bigger critters has worked well for me. The partitions where decently accurate, the Bergers, much more so. Can't speak to the bullets you listed.

I shoot the 69 SMK in my .223 for paper, steel, and pigs. I usually shoot 50 V-MAX for yotes. The 69 SMK has taken yotes for me too though. I have a buddy whose kid shot a doe on the 12AW yourh hunt, and she dropped like a rock after a 69 SMK whacked her.

Crazy accurate, good speed, and good performance on game. Typical .223 hole going in, quarter size exit.

Typical .223" pinhole entrance

043_zpsc473ee46.jpg

Quarter size exit

044_zpsb8d8f23d.jpg

53gr Hornady v-max for coyotes and any other varmints. 62 gr Swift Scirocco's for anything larger. The 53 gr v-max has the best BC of any varmint type bullet in .224, plus it makes a sweet sound when it smacks something. The Swift's BC is as good as anything except the big a-max, and is a awesome game bullet.

i shoot 64gr whatever. works good out of every 1to9 twist rifle ive had. shot a javalina at 445 yds last hunt. .223 is my favorite caliber.

Thank you all for the replies!

The 70gr Speer Semi Spitzer kept popping up in a bunch of my searches whenever I included the word "deer" so I was hoping someone had some Arizona experience. Midway has them available and reviews are excellent, I will likely try a box and report back.

53gr Hornady v-max for coyotes and any other varmints. 62 gr Swift Scirocco's for anything larger. The 53 gr v-max has the best BC of any varmint type bullet in .224, plus it makes a sweet sound when it smacks something. The Swift's BC is as good as anything except the big a-max, and is a awesome game bullet.

I have some factory 55gr V-Max that has performed well on coyotes out of my AR that is loaded and ready in my savage mag to shoot this weekend to verify my gun likes them. I expected to then reload them as well. Thank you for pointing out the 53gr variety, they have excellent reviews and it looks like a lot of folks are having success with them on the predator forums.

I shoot the 69 SMK in my .223 for paper, steel, and pigs. I usually shoot 50 V-MAX for yotes. The 69 SMK has taken yotes for me too though. I have a buddy whose kid shot a doe on the 12AW yourh hunt, and she dropped like a rock after a 69 SMK whacked her.

Crazy accurate, good speed, and good performance on game.

As usual, thank you, Lance. Sierra does not recommend this bullet for use on game and some folks on other forums said the same which led me to look at the 65gr SGK. It's hard not to take your advice in a lot of these situations and I know you shoot those 69 SMKs out of several rifles and now have provided proof too! Just curious, was that dropping shot on the doe to the vitals?

Has anyone tried the 69gr Sierra Tipped MK? Thanks!

65gr Sierra Game King is a great bullet for just about everything and will tackle pig and deer no problem.

I run the 69gr TMK in my .22-250 and they shoot beautifully. They thump Coyotes really good too but I haven't had a chance to shoot them at any game bigger yet. Willing to bet they would make a great bullet for hunting purposes with performance similar to the Amax. Sierra does not recommend them for hunting but they also state that they have a thicker jacket than the Blitz line of bullets. My guess is the new tip will more than likely provide reliable expansion every time where the standard Match King can be hit or miss sometimes and why they are not recommended for hunting.

Build a 6.8 SPC2.

I love fast twist .223's. They are very versatile with the right bullets. Plenty of gun for all you describe and more. I have put down several deer back home in KS (mostly meat hunting does) and even a AZ buck. I will always default to shot placement is key and a guy should keep his shots within a range that he can ensure a 100% shot to the vitals. There isn't a deer walking that can take a quality .224 bullet to the boiler room and live to tell about it. I will echo Lance's comments about the 69 gr projectile as well as Stomp's eluding to the TMK's plastic tip likely providing more reliable expansion. Nevermind any naysayers about the 223. Work within it's (and your) capabilities and it will perform for you perfectly.

I put a lot more fur in the dirt every year than deer and my primary 223 fodder reflects that. After much testing on mangy coyotes one summer in pursuit of the perfect fur round (drop a yote but not turn a fox or cat inside out, no exits on dogs is a plus) I settled on a 52gr Speer HP. The massive hollow point looks like a flying soup can but makes short work of varmints with minimal fur damage. I do NOT recommend this round for anything bigger or thicker skinned than a coyote. See link for field test ;) http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/54014-from-the-hills-to-the-table/

For long range and bigger game my projectile of choice is the 75 gr AMAX. You will not be able to load these to mag length in an AR but they may work in your bolt gun. I use the 75gr BTHP from hornady in my AR simply because they fit in the mag and are cheaper than SMK's. My AR digests the 75 gr BTHP beautifully and has killed everything I have sent them towards.

The deer in the picture was a few years back and out past what most would consider .223 range. He tried his best but couldn't shake the 75gr BTHP from his lungs.

post-11266-0-03923200-1469202346.jpg

A good bullet capable of getting through to the good stuff will empty the air out of any deer in AZ! If you desire a "hunting" bullet specifically, it would be hard to beat the bonded 64gr offering from Nosler. http://www.nosler.com/bonded-solid-base-bullet/ I dont have any experience with them because the other two loads I shoot do everything I could ever ask of them.

• Like 1

55 gr sierra with h4895 and Remington small rifle primers shoots dimes in my rifle

Oh and a point to the people who say a bullet isn't recommended by the speer/sierra/hornady/ect for larger game animals that needs to be made. We are talking about a .223 here and you need to leave your brain on when you're shooting a deer with it. You will likely drop deer dead in their tracks with any 52gr plus bullet as long as you're not stupid about it and try hard quartering shots or other less than desirable shots. If you are trying to make the .223 do thing's a larger caliber would do like taking those shots look into a barnes bullet their light bullets are designed for the fast twist. Plus they will not blow up I recovered one out of a wild hog shot at 20 feet in the head out of a 30-06 half way down the spine and it was still together. I personally think if it wasn't for a stupid test in the early stages of the life of the m16 we would have ARs with a much slower twist and would be shooting lighter bullets but that is a whole different rant.

Lots of good .224" hunting bullets. Cannot come close to telling how many hogs, deer, etc. I've taken with a. 223 or .22-250...

Still working up my 65gr SGK but I have my coyote load dialed in.

53gr VMax

24.0gr H335

0.01 Jump @ 2.22" COAL

post-3844-0-48438800-1470589421_thumb.jpg

3/3 today from 50-225 yards, all yotes DRT.

post-3844-0-46541900-1470540467_thumb.jpg

post-3844-0-87448300-1470540447_thumb.jpg

post-3844-0-27889900-1470540507_thumb.jpg

post-3844-0-79460600-1470540388_thumb.jpg

• Like 1