Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Rifle stock makeover

My son was gifted an old 1952 Remington 721 270 Win last year. It's a pretty cool gun topped with a 1952 Weaver scope and an old school leather sling. But the stock was showing its age. To help keep him excited for his upcoming jr deer tag we gave the stock a makeover and a new Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40mm scope is on the way. It'll probably need to be bedded but we'll shoot it first and see what she does.

Before

image_15.jpeg

During

image_16.jpeg

After

image_13.jpeg

• Like 1

That's awesome, I've got a 721 in .270 that will be a 6.5 x 284 soon. Those old 721's and 722's are great!

very nice work.

I was too impatient to order products online so I just went to Home Depot. I used Watco Danish Oil (Med walnut) and a couple coats of min wax wood paste wax.

• Like 1

Came out real nice. Good job. Who did he get the rifle from, is there some family history behind it?

That came out clean! Great work on that stock.

My dad doesn't remember 100% but believes it was bought new by my grandpa for my dad and uncle when they were kids. My uncle used it mostly as my dad is partial to his 30-06. My uncle stopped hunting a long time ago. The gun sat unused for the last 25 years. They gave it to my 10 yo boy for his first rifle. It's put down a few WY elk, mulies and antelope in its hay day.

• Like 2

Very nice job. That is not only a neat family heirloom, it is a proven design, and one with a lot of character. One thing you might want to consider is, those early M 721's were put together with stocks intended to be used with iron sights, so they had quite a bit of drop at the comb. A removable (strap on) or peel and stick cheek pad will allow for a more comfortable position and consistent cheek weld.

I have one in .222 and it is a tack driver, very reliable and fun to shoot. I have been tempted to buy others, but . . . well you know, only so much room.

forepaw

Ive inherited this same rifle in .30-'06. A couple years ago I was thinking about building it into something custom. Casey (firstcoueswas80) and couple others here talked me out of it, and I'm glad they did. Now after seeing what you and your son have done with yours I'm inspired to bring that old rifle back to life. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Very nice.