Sign in to follow this  
hunt87

Got 13b rifle tag

Average Joe, sure don't agree with that call, but whatever. Wonder why you feel that way? If you won a new Mercedes in a drawing and need work on it, you gonna take it to shade tree mechanic, or to a Mercedes dealer where it is done right? Just saying..

The other posts from other DIY hunters are mostly right on.

Getting a big buck on the Strip is NOT for certain, for a number of reasons!

I disagree with the statement that there are deer everywhere up there. It is a million and half acres of land and in many areas, there are pockets of deer. I've seen a small group of deer on a particular mountain, then for the next 20 miles not even a single track! The low desert areas have extremely low deer densities, but yes there are deer there too!

I suggest a call to the unit manager might clarify a lot of these misconceptions about deer and deer hunting on the Strip. The wildlife manager hasn't been up there that long, but he is a smart, friendly guy, who will tell you straight up what's going on.

It is true that most of the giant deer up there are taken by hunters who use licensed guides. Can and do big deer get taken each year by the DIY guys? Yes, but not in the same proportion or numbers that are taken by the guides, and that again is for a number of reasons.

My guys and I guide up there; been there for years, but don't have the "army" of helpers, and don't run 175-200 cameras year around. If I did, I too would need to charge from $8-12k in fees. Information, experience and proven results aren't free.

I'm fortunate to have a few friends who are mule deer aficionados who like to be out there on these hunts and are a huge help when it comes to finding and then taking big bucks.

Having been on the Strip for many, many years, fortunately our clients have taken some really nice deer there. We charge less than half of what the "Big Boys" do. Here are a few of the bucks we've been fortunate to help sportsmen take in the past.

post-11017-0-89360900-1469459145_thumb.jpg

Called the "Putter Buck" this awesome cactus buck was taken by my friend and fellow Hunter Education instructor

post-11017-0-37076500-1469461124_thumb.jpg

A good buck for a 77 year old hunter. Lots of mass, double eyeguards, Bill was very happy with this buck!

post-11017-0-33521400-1469459632.jpg

I rattled in this buck that had a lot of trash on the back of his rack!

post-11017-0-09363700-1469461446_thumb.jpg

Miss Laura Borden holds a large rack from one of our hunts

post-11017-0-23910300-1469465331_thumb.jpg

George wanted a non-typical and this is what he got!

post-11017-0-00450500-1469465411_thumb.jpg

Nice velvet buck!

post-11017-0-42201600-1469465457.jpg

Nice archery buck! Mike missed a 216 two days earlier!

post-11017-0-77738500-1469465622_thumb.jpg

This is why you put out cameras!

post-11017-0-45915400-1469465669_thumb.jpg

What a pair to draw too!

post-11017-0-77603700-1469465711_thumb.jpg

Just a pair of nice AZ Strip bucks!

If a sportsman wants to do it DIY then in my opinion he needs to make at LEAST 10 scouting trips up there and go up a week early; set up camp and really look at the area (from long distance with high quality binoculars and spotting scopes) you're gonna hunt.

Don't just hope Lady Luck will smile on you. Do your homework! Fort most, it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so make the most of it.

Here is a buck we found last weekend up there while on a scouting trip. One of my guides and his dad have archery tags there this year.

post-11017-0-46959000-1469459983_thumb.jpg

This buck is NOT a "giant" by Strip standards; but who out there who has never taken a non-typical buck would pass him up IF given the opportunity to take him either with a bow or rifle?

"I'd rather be lucky than good", is an old saying that really applies to many with AZ Strip tag holders. If Lady Luck shines on you, you're fortunate, But hard work and perseverance will help increase your odds of success!.

If you have the time to do all the scouting and other processes that needs to be done, then good luck! The odds will tilt in your favor.

If you don't, then either consider a guide--or be realistic about what you will probably end up with. Don't set yourself up for failure. Nothing wrong with a mature buck, no matter how wide or what he scores. It is a magical place, but it is also daunting for most.

The key in my opinion is to do your homework; spend as much time as you can on the ground up there (plan on the entire 10 days of the hunt for sure!); glass, glass and glass some more, practice, practice, practice your shooting; find some buddies that can go with you on your scouting and hunting trips that know how to glass and have a great time!

That's as true of an assessment and advice as I can give.

See you up there!

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

• Like 5

I wouldn't listen to SR much look at the 140 bighorn on a once in a lifetime hunt.

I'll take that as a Joke ! Hahaha

That's is a 160" Nelsoni Ram the Largest of 47 rams I glassed on a down year in 15b west. They cut the tags in 1/2 the following year. 7 tags total and mine was the 2nd biggest! 37.5" left horn and a broomed to 30" right horn with 15.4 bases.

Hmmmm if he hadn't broomed 168" which is B&C !!! Eat your Heart out friend!

I was tickled to death to harvest him!

Here is hoping your still waiting on your sheep tag! Lol!

• Like 6

Interesting thread with no right/wrong answer on guided or unguided. Ask yourself this question "what am I looking for in this hunt?" Is it the largest deer possible, If that's the case get one of those guides with a hundred cameras, a dozen drones, and spotters on every vantage point. Or are you looking for the satisfaction of doing it yourself, now if thats case don't be afraid to go home with the "average" strip buck or even with an unfilled tag.

Back to the oringinal question, I spent seven days turkey hunting in April/May in 13b. I saw a great deal of deer on Black rock Mountain and its only 45 miles of dirt road to st george.

If/when I get this tag I will not hire a guide and I may even hunt solo. I do not consider an unfilled tag failure.

Interesting thread with no right/wrong answer on guided or unguided. Ask yourself this question "what am I looking for in this hunt?" Is it the largest deer possible, If that's the case get one of those guides with a hundred cameras, a dozen drones, and spotters on every vantage point. Or are you looking for the satisfaction of doing it yourself, now if thats case don't be afraid to go home with the "average" strip buck or even with an unfilled tag.

Back to the oringinal question, I spent seven days turkey hunting in April/May in 13b. I saw a great deal of deer on Black rock Mountain and its only 45 miles of dirt road to st george.

If/when I get this tag I will not hire a guide and I may even hunt solo. I do not consider an unfilled tag failure.

Those deer up on Black Rock won't be there on the rifle hunt. They spread out before the rut.

I would not hire a guide. I think that is the challenge of getting a great tag in this state. It is to often that people look at these tags as "once in a lifetime" and I have to kill 200" or bust. I enjoy the challenge of learning a new unit and setting personal goals. I want to kill a 200"er as bad as the next guy, but if I was guided it wouldn't be as sweet. I do not look down on guys that use guides, but for me, I would not. There are situations where a guy might not have the time to scout and a guide or scouting package would be a wise investment.

• Like 1

I wouldn't listen to SR much look at the 140 bighorn on a once in a lifetime hunt.

I'll take that as a Joke ! Hahaha

That's is a 160" Nelsoni Ram the Largest of 47 rams I glassed on a down year in 15b west. They cut the tags in 1/2 the following year. 7 tags total and mine was the 2nd biggest! 37.5" left horn and a broomed to 30" right horn with 15.4 bases.

Hmmmm if he hadn't broomed 168" which is B&C !!! Eat your Heart out friend!

I was tickled to death to harvest him!

Here is hoping your still waiting on your sheep tag! Lol!

You have nothing to prove to this butt hat. Don't bother validating his ignoramus commentary with a response.

He can kiss off.

• Like 2

I think a scouting package at minimal is something worth the money. Scouting on your own would cost as much if not more than a a scouting package. I did a scouting package last year on my archery hunt up there and killed a buck over 200".

• Like 2

I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

With the archery hunt about 3 weeks away, I think that the THREE hunters from Kingman, are going to do fine up there.

Saw some different bucks this trip last weekend, and while none of them are the true "Giants" that live there, saw bucks that many would be happy to get, especially with a bow and arrow!

Being a true "Freak and Geek" kinda guy, the freaks are the ones I like the best, but everyone has their own opinion.

post-11017-0-63224500-1470068261_thumb.jpg

post-11017-0-54828400-1470068336.jpg

And of course, these little beauties! Lots and lots of fawns seen in the "nursery".

post-11017-0-06482000-1470068528_thumb.jpg

Don Martin

Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

post-11017-0-68834000-1470068283.jpg

• Like 1