Bailer41

20c youth

I'm getting ready to send in my leftover app, and am pondering the 20c youth for my 11 year old. Anybody had the hunt and willing to share how suitable it is for a first timer kid. At this point I would limit his shots to <150 yards. I broke my oldest in on the Kaibab doe hunts, but this ones 0-2 drawing it. If it's tough to even glass up deer I'll have him wait another year.

Thanks in advance.

Not an easy hunt. Definately glassable. you will have to put in your time scouting before the hunt to locate the bucks.

• Like 1

Very tough limited access and 3 days of glasses and nothing better off with southern unit for

coues , Havent looked but lots of hunts before youth hunt

You guys are crazy. 20c has plenty of deer and access. Especially on a left over tag vs sitting at home.

• Like 3

I wouldn't just pass up the opportunity to take your kid out on a challenging hunt. That is exactly What is wrong with our children today! They are faced with a difficult situation and don't even want to stand up amd work to overcome something difficult. 20c can pay off Big time. Their are some great deer In there if you are willing to work for em. NOTHING that is worth anything is served up in a silver platter! Don't let someone's single post or experience sway you from enjoying time with your kid!

• Like 7

take the kid on a deer hunt. anyone that disagrees is bogus. time outdoors with a tag in hand beats the heII out of sitting on the couch

• Like 2

I admit it didn't take much to discourage me. With all the other hunts we've got going on, trying to get out to learn the new unit would have been a challenge. We aren't likely to be on the couch though. He'll be out chasing quail with our 2 gsps.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

I won't get into the parenting aspect of it as I do not have kids of my own yet, but as a hunting mentor to your son, you would not be doing your part by passing on an opportunity to get him out there hunting. There's good quail in that unit. Might as well get the tag and spend the first 40 days of quail season scouting for deer with a shotgun over your dogs. Learn a new area for deer and a new area for quail. Win/Win for you, your son and the dogs. Besides, you can never have too many hunts. This is my last weekend until at least Feb 4th (except Christmas Day and our anniversary) that's not booked with some type of hunting/fishing/scouting/helping and I'm still looking for more hunting/helping opportunities. If you're more familiar with some of the other units, put him in for those too. No need to restrict him to just the youth hunt in 20C.

Also, no need to limit him to 150 yards. Just get him a lot more trigger time and let his performance at the range determine what his max range is, accounting for variances between range shooting and game shooting, of course.

• Like 1

I went in there blind about 6 years ago with my two boys. We found a small 2 point running with some does and chased him for three days. I glassed the buck up on all three mornings, but every morning there was a rookie mishap. The trip was a good learning experience for both boys.

Now when dad walks out to glass they know to wake up, follow, bring a gun and be ready to shoot. They both have a pretty good kill ratio now.

To late now , but I hope you sent in the app. Its still huntin with your kids. :)

It's been about 15 years since I hunted 20c, did OK east of Yarnell I think it was, but decided to put my 2 boys in separately for the Dec 16-31 hunt. Surprisingly, both drew the tag. I figured hunting with them at the end of December when they are off school and I am off work, would work out great. Sounds like it is a tough unit though.

I've had good luck getting into big deer in December in other units when bow hunting, so hoping the bucks decide to show themselves. I know there will have been 1000+ hunters in there before us, but that's the same way with lots of other units too.

Anyone else who wants to get together to scout or trade notes, please pm me. Probably scouting more in late Nov/early Dec as gonna be scouting for a Jr. cow hunt before then.

Good luck kendog.

We're going to focus down south after elk is done. I put the kid on my leftover app, and looking forward to trying mearns for the first time.

I picked up a left over youth tag in 20C for my daughter I look forward to the time we get to spend outdoors. This will be her 5th tag, She continues to learn more and more now she can out shoot me and getting pretty handy with the optics also. So whether she kills or not I could care less the time we get spend together is priceless. Good luck to all the other youth hunters.

I picked up a left over youth tag in 20C for my daughter I look forward to the time we get to spend outdoors. This will be her 5th tag, She continues to learn more and more now she can out shoot me and getting pretty handy with the optics also. So whether she kills or not I could care less the time we get spend together is priceless. Good luck to all the other youth hunters.

thats great news. Give may call when you get a chance.

I've had good luck getting into big deer in December in other units when bow hunting, so hoping the bucks decide to show themselves. I know there will have been 1000+ hunters in there before us, but that's the same way with lots of other units too.

This unit is no exception. I hunt javelina during the archery season exclusively here. On Jan 1 there was bucks pushing does no reason to think they weren't a few days or even a week prior. Buck seem to come out of the wood work in the unit in late December. I bet this is awesome hunt.