parrita58

Southern Az rut predictions

So I've been searching all over the we for more information focusing on southern Az rut predictions and information. I have only found minimal info and more focus on the east coast rut. Can anybody guide me to a better directon where they talk more about arizona rut?

Think your tag is a bit early for the rut. Your best source for info on the Coues deer rut is this site. Spend a few hours using the search function (or target this site in a Google search for shorter words) and you will find a plethora of useful information. From folks I know back east, eastern whitetails start rutting anywhere from Halloween to the first week of December, depending on what part of the US or Canada you're in. Coues deer start anywhere from middle of December to first part of February, depending upon location within US or Mexico. I was down in the 36's in mid January and saw some rutting action, but it was from smaller bucks. Pretty sure I was a week early for where I was at. If you really want to hunt rutting Coues, then you need to get a bow.

Thx METAU all the info for the eastern bucks says late October thru early december. I have notice that the rut here in az can be spontaneous and van happen one week and drop the following week and then it picks up again. It all depends in the area. I usually go to my grandpas ranch which is an hour and 40 minutes from the Nogales border during December and the 2015-2016 hunt the rut didn't pick up until the 2nd week of January 2016. It's been coming alot later than 5-7 years ago. I was just trying to see if anybody new someone who updates this info for the southern az coues rut. This website has been the most helpful ever since I became a member, you can't beat it for coues info.

Where I hunt in southern az, Christmas is usually the beginning of full on rut for coues,peaks in early January and fades about mid January.

• Like 1

What area dustin25?

I hunted last year. I hunted Dec. 20th-23rd and then the 26th-30th. Before Christmas, I witnessed zero rut action. When I returned on the 26th it was about the same but each day got better. By the 29th and 30th it was obvious rut was kicking in. Bigger bucks were easier to locate and they were chasing does around and smaller bucks away. This was my very first December hunt and I have never hunted them in January so my knowledge is pretty limited.

Best rut that I have seen here in AZ is from mid January all the way to late February.

• Like 4

Best rut that I have seen here in AZ is from mid January all the way to late February.

I agree...

That's how it was at my grandfather's ranch Ernesto. 2nd week of January bucks where out and about. Thank you for the feedback guys

I was looking for the same info early, put 'December Rut' into the search engine and there are a ton of good stories with good info.

For the past four years, based on my observations, 35a rut has been the last two weeks of January through the first few days of February. Other than rut info, the coues boys I have seen over the past week are showing growth from nubbins to about 3in... Nothing like that unit 11 road kill monster.

We always joke and say the week of the January 10th is the week the couse will go nuts. seems like the mulies go the last week or so of December then the couse kick it off the 2nd week of January.