Sign in to follow this  
smitty93

First Turkey Hunt, Unit 1 Fall

So my buddy and I got drawn for the fall hut, in unit 1. Neither of us have hunted turkey before, but we've been doing our research and are planning a couple scouting trips before October rolls around. Anyone have any advice for us, as to where to scout? and what strategies to use? should we be more stationary and try to call them in, or be more mobile and cover as much land as we can? Any info would be great, as were both novice hunters and could use all the help we can get.

• Like 1

Be more mobile and cover as much land as you can. The big toms are not breeding and calling like they are in the spring.

First you need to figure out what type of bird you are willing to take (tom, Jake or hen) then come up with a plan.

You can sit water and wait for whatever type of bird you are looking for (best way to hunt the big toms). Turkeys do come to water more in the fall than in the spring.

If you are wanting to do more interactive hunting like calling the best way is to find a flock, split them up and call them back in but it only works with hens and jakes. Personally I like calling and have taken quite a few jakes in the fall using this method.

Well, I'd love to get a Tom, but I know I'll probably be lucky to even see a bird.

Okay, I think were going to try and cover as many watering holes then, see if we can find any signs of birds.

Do they still call in the morning when they are about to come off their roost in the fall? Would it be worth trying to locate them in the early morning/late afternoons this way?

If you do see birds while out and about and know of a water hole nearby check it out and look for sign. Mornings and evenings seem to usually be the times they like to water most but I have seen them water a few times in the middle of the afternoon. A good plan for you might be to sit water in the morning and evenings and cover ground in the afternoon. They will also most likely roost not to far from the water. As far as calling them in off the roost in the morning the hole flock will roost in the same tree and will talk to each other before fly down but are all within sight and there will not be as much assembly calling and waiting to go to the toms as there is in the spring. If you know where the roost is it is best to force a fly down in different directions and call them back together (easiest way to get a good split on the flock is off the roost). As far as calling goes just use assembly yelps and kee kee runs after a split. Wait about 4 or 5 minutes after a split not far from the split and start calling. A lot of times a boss hen will not come to other hen yelps but will almost always come to the kee kee of a young lost turkey.

• Like 1

Find the area's that have oaks and look for dropping acorns. Water holes in these area's will show you the tracks. Try calling in the best acorn area's early in the morning. But for a big tom your best bet is water.

• Like 1

So my buddy and I got drawn for the fall hut, in unit 1. Neither of us have hunted turkey before, but we've been doing our research and are planning a couple scouting trips before October rolls around. Anyone have any advice for us, as to where to scout? and what strategies to use? should we be more stationary and try to call them in, or be more mobile and cover as much land as we can? Any info would be great, as were both novice hunters and could use all the help we can get.

turkey are very vocal birds all year round and yes you can call in Toms in the fall, the call that works best for me in the fall is the gobbler yelp.

• Like 2

turkey are very vocal birds all year round and yes you can call in Toms in the fall, the call that works best for me in the fall is the gobbler yelp.

Good to know... what type of call are you using for the gobbler yelp? still shopping around for calls and not sure if I should go a little cheaper to get a slate, box and mouth call or spend a little more and get just one good one. Any brands I should be looking at or staying away from?

Good luck. I got drawn for 6A turkey also. I see them up there when I'm not hunting, let's hope I can find them when I am!

Thanks, good luck to you as well.

That always seems to be the case. Couldn't find a yote all winter, then when we finally give up we start seeing them running down the highway and all down the dirt roads when we dont have our guns...

Gobbler yelps are deeper and slower yelps and are best made on a long box call or on a mouth call.

Kee kee's are high pitched whistle like sounds followed by one or two yelp notes and are best made on a mouth call.

Little Creek I'm on your site now...which mouth call do you recommend for the fall?

The Kee kee is most easily made on the Chiricahua Gould call. Also I have customers that buy the point sublime because they like the way it kee kee's.

Ammon, can you change my online order from Lost Dutchman to Chiricahua Gold (and Point Sublime)...I just replied to your order confirmation email. Thank you,

Good to know... what type of call are you using for the gobbler yelp? still shopping around for calls and not sure if I should go a little cheaper to get a slate, box and mouth call or spend a little more and get just one good one. Any brands I should be looking at or staying away from?

what Ammon at Little creek Calls said.