Sign in to follow this  
CouseforLife

Calls

Got my first rut tag in over a decade. Got a unit 8 muzzleloader bull. Been to the unit a few times now and found some great looking country. Plan on making a few more trips up before the Archery hunt starts. I hate it when people ruin my hunt by scouting and walking up on a tank that I am sitting so I won't do it to others either.

My question is I need some help with calls. Haven't hunted the rut in a while and I am out of practice calling. I hate diaphrams. Any suggestions on some good cow calls? The type I use to have and use are no longer in production. Don't remember the name but it was a Quaker boy. Also used a hyper hot years ago that worked great. Planned on making a purchase next week and then driving the family nuts with practice time. HA!

Thanks in advance.

Some folks suggest staying away from the hoocie mama. I have one, let my niece use it when we are in the park.

Why don't you like diaphragm calls? If it is difficulty calling then I highly suggest getting Steve Chappells CD and practice while commuting to/from work.

Otherwise, I have about 3 dozen calls, 10 or so of which are on me when I leave the truck. I'll use whatever I'm getting the best reaction out of (usually the diaphragm).

I just never liked them. I have used them turkey hunting mostly in the past and just never liked having it in my mouth. I guess I am not totally against them just would prefer not to. Not sure if my teeth are shaped oddly or the roof of my mouth, always had to trim the heck out of it to get them to work right.

Bugling bull matriarch cow call. Its a reed call and works very well. I have that with a few select diaphragm calls that i carry at all times.

If your hunting, someone else needs to do the calling. Tough hunt by yourself.

This is always my problem, I can call well, but that does me no good. LOL.

Thanks for the help earlier guys with the tips. My brother managed to call me in a 310 bull to about 50 yards and I dropped him on the 3rd day. I was surprised by the amount of road hunters for a rut hunt in unit 8. You could hear the quads and UTVs going up and down the road all morning and evening. They were not talking much at all like I was hoping but we managed to get one to come in close enough. Never got a good look at the hear bull so don't know what he was other than bigger. It was a fun hunt.

• Like 1