Sign in to follow this  
gonhunting247

First chance to hunt Coues

I drew a 31 late Coues tag and will finally get a chance to actually hunt in AZ. I thought I would hunt Javelina first, but beat the odds and drew the deer tag. I'm really excited to get my boots on the ground and try to connect with my first Coues. If any one is willing to offer some information on this unit or share some of their knowledge on hunting Coues in AZ it would be really appreciated. I have hunted most of the west and AK, but this will be a great new adventure. Feel free to PM me if that is a better way to go.I have been reading everything I can find on 31 and Coues in general, but figured this forum would have some of the most experienced Coues hunters around. Any info or experience that folks are willing to contribute is very, very much appreciated. I am from OR and have a lot of experience with all species here, so if you have interest in hunting in OR don't hesitate to ask. Thanks in advance for any advice that you are willing to share.

Thanks, Bob E.

• Like 1

Congrats on the tag. I actually glassed a couple decent bucks this morning in 31. Rough country, pretty good amount of deer. Get ya some good boots and clear glass/tripod. Good luck

• Like 2

What are the dates on that tag, I may have some free days to haul some binos and a spotter down that way if you want some extra eyes?

• Like 1

Thanks Hatchet Jack:

I have good boots and still have pretty strong legs :) . I could use a little better glass, but my mid range Leupolds will have to do. I will have my brothers' Leupold spotter also. It has served me well in AK for sheep and goat, so I'm hoping it will work alright for Coues.I'll need to address the tripod situation I think, as ours is pretty cheap. Exciting to hear about seeing bucks already!

Mulepackhunter:

The dates are 12/9-12/31. What a generous offer. That brings up a good question. Is the first of the season best or would the tail end be better? I will probably have about 2 weeks maximum of vacation time left by the time I'm done with all my other fall hunting.

The week after Christmas is what I have always felt was the best part of that hunt. Full on rut probably won't start until after the hunt ends but you will see some activity in December.

It's a great hunt and without a lot of tags you can really spread out, although some archery Hunter's will be around. Deer can be found all over, basically if you are over 3000' you are in deer country.

I love that unit and the late hunt was also my first coues hunt back to back in 00-01. Enjoy it, I sure did.

• Like 1

Congrats on the tag. You should have a good hunt. Best thing to do is get up high and glass. If ya don't mind alittle hiking you shouldn't have a issue finding a nice buck.

• Like 1