Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Don Martin

I Support Wildlife--a good thing for our non-hunting buddies to get involved with!

One of the other programs that the AZ G&F Dept. has recently started is one called I Support Wildlife.

While it is designed to be a money maker for the Department, when I interviewed a Department supervisor recently for a story I wrote in our local newspaper, I found out something interesting.

That program was started especially for the the non-hunters in our midst; those who won't buy a hunting license cause it says "hunting" on it. These bird watchers, photography enthusiasts and wildlife watchers who don't hunt but who enjoy all of Arizona's diverse wildlife.

post-11017-0-80873000-1470128755_thumb.jpg

I enjoy seeing wildlife, even though I'm a hunter!

The Department knows that they are seeing a decline in their revenue streams and this program lets the non-consumptive user help pay for the management of those species that is the past, we as consumptive users, have historically paid for.

post-11017-0-88132300-1470128805_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but I don't have any non-game photos at my fingertips.

I think it is a great idea, but after reading then re-reading the particulars of the program, I don't see where they (Department) really made a good effort to market it to the non-hunters. Maybe its implied, or I just don't see it, but I think they could do a better job at letting the non-consumptive users know that this is a way for them to give back, just like we as sportsmen do.

Look at what you get for a $25 enrollment fee. Free premium mapping, a subscription to Arizona Wildlife Views, a fishing report, a decal for your Subaru or mountain bike, and you get to "feel good" about helping pay for the management of non hunted species.

Again, good idea, wish they would do a better job of reaching out to that segment of people who seemingly get all the benefits of wildlife conservation without paying for it.

Don Martin

Guest oneshot

Nice idea, probably won't sell a 100 of these though...

Thanks for the info Capt. Don...

Capt. Don

Can you share where G&F is losing money in it's revenue stream?

I am Born and raised in Arizona (42 years) In my lifetime I have seen nothing but huge increases in the numbers of hunters and anglers in this state. In the same time I have not seen what seems like a proportional increase in the number of G&F officers out in the field.

Hunting - The numbers of tags have not declined significantly if at all in the last decade, the Cost of License, App Fees, and processing fee (a.k.a Bonus point) have all increased nearly 80 - 100% ... They have not been left with many un purchased tags through the left over process. Auction Tags have been selling at huge increase year after year... I guess there could be less small game and bird hunters out there these days but that has not been my experience either.

Fishing - Has boomed , long gone are the days of having a quiet fishing trip in Arizona at least at 75% of lakes, streams and rivers ... That is a lot of increased revenue in Licenses alone which have also seen a pretty steady cost increase.

Now you add on the Taxes for both Hunting and Fishing gear that the states receive back from the Feds in grants and with the steady increases of sales in those categories in this state ... I am having a hard time believing there has been any loss in those revenues either.

Call these things what they all are TAXES .... programs like this, are just taxes by persuasion... tugging at the hearts and emotions of people.

Some of the higher ups needed raises.

• Like 4

The information I wrote about that the Department is looking at new revenue streams due to a loss of participants in the AZ system were given to me by a Regional Supervisor who I interviewed for a couple of stories that I wrote for the Kingman Daily Miner newspaper.

This was the answer I was given when I asked why the Department were initiating these new programs.

Suggest that you contact Amber Munig at the Carefree office and ask her to explain it to you.

I think we all know that the costs to manage wildlife is always going up.

And we also know that the management of non-game and non-hunted species species has always be paid for by sportsmen.

This program lets those that drive Subaru's and wear Birkenstock's share in this management responsibility for these non hunted species.

That is a good idea, and long overdue, in my opinion.

Those who are wildlife watchers, and are non-consumptive users should have the opportunity to help pay for the management of non-game species.

Don Martin

• Like 1

Don I bought it too... As did a majority of the guys I hunt with ... What % of traffic on the G&F website is non hunters or anglers? I can understand the cost associated with conservation but I also know that many of the dollars are spent dicking with bureaucracy and certain salaries.

Is there any real marketing of this off site and towards the demographic you are speaking too? Is the cost of even trying to Market to those individuals even going to help really generate revenue, or just run up the bill to the point that there is very little revenue being added? I guess those are the things I am really wondering about.

Not sure how the Department is marketing the programs-- I know I did make some recommendations to the Regional Supervisor I spoke to about the programs..

Don Martin