Sign in to follow this  
Paladin529

Problems 7mm Rem Mag 162 ELD X

Anyone else having issues with getting these to shoot of a 1:9 twist barrel? I'm having a hard time finding a load. This rifle shoot 168gr berger vlds under half inch at 100. I'm just about ready to give up on these eldx

I have been shooting the 143 eld-x in court's 264 am and for her gun, they really like some jump. I started close to the lands and farther back I loaded, the more accurate they became. For me, they are shooting great at .030 off of the lands.

Brent

Here's an ocw I did using RL22. I chose load from target 2 since those first three have same point of impact. Do you guys agree? I then loaded more at varying seating depths. I don't have pictures of that target but I got the same results on groups as before.

post-10023-0-78120200-1470171343_thumb.jpeg

Are you using powder and primers from the same lot as your 168VLD load? Same brass? If not, try that. If so, try adjusting your COAL.

FWIW, I'm running the 162ELDM and they're behaving very well. I know they aren't the ELDX but I can't imagine they're a whole lot different. My best accuracy has been within .010" of the lands.

M

Try using H1000 and playing with seating depth.they like to be near the rifling. Had a friend using RL22 with poor results.

The ELDX are shooting lights out from my rifle!! Great bullet!! Good luck

I have a very good load on the 162M over H1000, i am at 3/4" on the lands, was going to play with seating depth to try and tighten it up, but it just got too dang hot.

Have you tried touching the lands? Getting 1/4 moa in my 300 rum 10 twist from Rl-22 Nosler brass 215m and 200gr Eld-x. Haven't had time to play with the 212gr yet.

RL22 is a good powder choice for that weight bullet. But your gun will tell you if it likes it or not. I have used it in 4 different 7RM pushing 160-168 bullets with great results. Usually right at 62.0gr.

I would try seating depth testing next and see if they tighten up before I switched powders and started over.

Just be aware that RL22 is quite temp sensitive. 1°F temp change=1fps. So if you do load development in the summer @ 90°, and you hunt when it is 30°, you will get 60fps slower speeds, which will probably push you out of your accuracy node.

Out of curiosity, what is the recipe you are using? Brass, primer, charge weight range, CBTO/COAL?

Started at 62.9 gr worked down in .3 increments to 61.4, cci 250 primer, Norma brass, 2.731 base to ogive that's .020 off lands. Just bumped up too .015 off lands and gonna see what I get