Sign in to follow this  
Alpinebullwinkle

Question:Will lightning shut off the camera?

I retrieved a camera the other day that had been out for about 2 months and worked successfully up until the last two weeks. I found the camera turned off and when I turned it back on I found 40% battery life remaining. So I am wondering if lightning might have shut the camera off on me? Looks like the camera is in fine order for more pictures. Anyone else ever experienced this issue?

i had the EXACT same thing happen a few weeks ago. my camera ran fine for about a month and shut off about a week before i picked it up. when i got to the camera i turned it off then on again. full battery life, seemed to be working fine. never thought about the possibility of it being lightning?

Ive had them zap my cameras many times. Some times it wipes the card clean and I had one camera that never worked again. Gave me that last big bright purple picture, then nada!

I have a few older cams that don't run when my batteries get below 30%, found that out the hard way.

I have some that have trouble when humidity increases. Could be a moisture problem

Lightning does cause an EMP and could affect small electronics as well as many other electric systems ... It would have to be a pretty close strike ... There use to be a site you could see all the lightning strikes in the state by area, date, and numbers but not sure of the URL ... Since you have the date it stopped working, you could possibly see if there was activity in that area within 24 hours. As others have said things like humidity, temps and even low but not dead batteries could be possible causes as well.

However, never forget about GREMLINS or the CORN BAGGER!

Are the cameras locked up?? One would tend to think that with all of the other outfitters and hunters using cameras now days that there is a possibility that they mess with your camera? I have had some of mine messed with until I got boxes and locks on them , or maybe I just got better at placement.

Great responses. Thank you everybody. My camera was locked in unit #27 and stopped functioning on July 15 so I lost about 2 weeks of picture opportunity in a high bull concentration area. I still got almost 1,000 pictures of +20 different bulls, but unfortunately not the monster I was hoping for. He is there, but apparently too foxy or timid to give me a picture! Anyone else have the same challenge getting the pictures of the biggest bull you are aware of in the area? Sometimes I will get the big boy of the area, but once he is surprised by getting his picture took, he moves on. Smart bull, or just passing thru? When it is pre- August I suspect just a smart bull.

I wonder if there was some kind of big electrical storm or something? My camera shut off either the 14th or 15th in unit 27 as well

Is it me, or is it really strange that a lot of us had cameras shut off at potentially the exact same time? Hmmmm. Sounds like EMP testing. Haha

• Like 3

I'm trying to get pictures of aliens also.........those aliens that are stealing my data cards and cameras! Great job to all on the responses.

• Like 1