Campnichols

Rhondas Butcher Shop in Flagstaff

Casey's did a great job for me last year. If I ever get another elk in the Flagstaff area, it will be headed to Casey's too.

A elk is to valuable of an asset to take it to a shop who has more than a few negative reviews IMO.

I feel for you guys who have to pay for processing. I knew i was gonna hunt forever and picked up a used walk in. Paid for itself in one season. Bone it out before you take an elk to anyone.A dollar a pound for 50% going in a bone barrel is nuts.Processors love to see 4 quarters of an elk bone in.

Bull hangs 400 pounds. Law of average is 50% bone. Dont pay anextra 200 bucks for bone being chucked.

I've never used Casey's, but have had great results from Coconino. They tailor cut our steaks/roasts and package them for the wife and I. Weigh in is what you pay on, and return is very legit. Suet added for grind comes from Northern AZ grass fed beef if needed. He has one of the butchering contracts. Dennis also hooked us up with Heidi Favour @ Mt View Taxidermy. Super happy with results.

Dennis is the only guy I use. Coming from a meat cutting background, he was the one I had the best feel from. And he's tied in with Heidi Favour at Signature Taxidermy (also great), not Mt. View Taxidermy.

Thank you. Don't know how I screwed that up.

I agree with Toby, I do it all myself with the exception of bear which southwest processing has earned my full business with all my future bears.

The process of doing it yourself is pretty intimidating at first, but once you dive into it you will learn it really isn't that bad. You can find a plethora of great videos on youtube that will teach you everything you need to know step by step. You can probably also find the archived episode of Meat Eater where Steve taught step by step how to process a deer. You can get a really good grinder (I have a 3/4 hp LEM) and most of the supplies you will need for $400-500. You will get that money back in one season if you have to process more than one animal. Your quality and meat yield will go up and you won't have to wait on your meat. I started out just doing steaks, roasts, and burger. I've been doing it a few years now and have added jerky, various sausages, brats, etc to the mix. Planning to experiment and learn to do summer sausages this fall if my son if fortunate to get his cow elk and deer.

Give it a try, worse case scenario is you miss cut some meat and end up with a little bit more burger than steaks and roasts.

Also, I highly recommend a pair of cut resistant gloves, both for in the field and kitchen. I personally tend to get slicing pretty quick and with disposable knife blades being as sharp as they are, it doesn't take much to gash yourself pretty good. I'm terrible about slicing my hands up. These lightweight $10 gloves are fantastic and have definitely saved me from a few stitches.

https://www.amazon.com/NoCry-Cut-Resistant-Gloves-Performance/dp/B00MXUHHGK/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1470601599&sr=1-1

Here are a couple of links to some past threads with tips, recipes, etc:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/56953-sausage-fest-and-meat-grinder-review/?hl=sausage

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/41672-sweet-mesquite-coues-jerky-time/?hl=%2Bsweet+%2Bmesquite

• Like 3

I've never used Casey's, but have had great results from Coconino. They tailor cut our steaks/roasts and package them for the wife and I. Weigh in is what you pay on, and return is very legit. Suet added for grind comes from Northern AZ grass fed beef if needed. He has one of the butchering contracts. Dennis also hooked us up with Heidi Favour @ Mt View Taxidermy. Super happy with results.

Dennis is the only guy I use. Coming from a meat cutting background, he was the one I had the best feel from. And he's tied in with Heidi Favour at Signature Taxidermy (also great), not Mt. View Taxidermy.

Thank you. Don't know how I screwed that up.

Chris over at Mt. View is Steve Favour's son. I can see the mistake being made. Heidi has kept Signature going strong, though!

Just ordered 2 pair of these meat cutting gloves. Although I have been fortunate and have never cut myself, I have had plenty of close calls. Often times I am by myself when cutting up animals and this is just a little more piece of mind.

Next I have to learn how to make sausage links like you did. I am usually so tired after a hunt that it is just easier to drop it off at meat cutter and have them do everything even though I would prefer to do it myself.

thanks

• Like 1