Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

"How did I live without it?" Hunting Gear

Quite a few things above I agree with above. Some of the items I've purchases in the last year or so that I love.

Kifaru DT2 - As mentioned above crazy difference in a pack that actually fits you well. Hauls incredible loads comfortable and compresses down small for day hunts. Can't recommend these packs enough.

Zebralight H600 - Everyone should have a good reliable flashlight on them. 18650 give great runtimes with high lumens. Love this light.

Silky folding saw - Super lightweight and cuts wood like butter. Works great on sternum/pelvis as well. https://www.amazon.com/Silky-Folding-Landscaping-SUPER-119-21/dp/B0014CC31C/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1470803533&sr=8-10&keywords=silky+saw

Trioxane Fire tablets - amazing fire starting tabs. Highly recommend trying. https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Military-Fire-Starter-Trioxane/dp/B00GJ08WIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470803603&sr=8-1&keywords=trioxane+fuel

Kylmit Luxe Insulated sleeping pad - For a side sleeper like me these have been a life saver. I roll off most pads and this thing is a beast. Very warm and lightweight for the size you are getting. Keep an eye on ebay for refurbs from the manufacturer. Picked up 2 for $100 and they were brand new. https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Insulated-Static-Mattress-X-Large/dp/B00UW7SQQG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470804261&sr=8-2&keywords=klymit+luxe

• Like 2

Snack size bag of fritos. Even when stale, semi palatable and good caloric content. No joke, one chip makes a decent firestarter.

• Like 4

I like the looks of the Klymit pad, have to watch for one.

The older I get the more I spend on boots and hiking shoes.

• Like 1

Did you ever try any of the insoles like dr. Scholtz or good feet? I busted my heel up pretty good at the beginning of the year stomping firewood and ended up getting some of those dr scholtz gel pad things. Man what a difference!

• Like 1

Did you ever try any of the insoles like dr. Scholtz or good feet? I busted my heel up pretty good at the beginning of the year stomping firewood and ended up getting some of those dr scholtz gel pad things. Man what a difference!
yes they do ok. I'm stepping it up this year and plan on having a custome pair of insoles made by a podiatrist. I have heard very good things about them and even though they are gonna be expensive I feel I can't go wrong.

yes they do ok. I'm stepping it up this year and plan on having a custome pair of insoles made by a podiatrist. I have heard very good things about them and even though they are gonna be expensive I feel I can't go wrong.

Nice let us know how they work. The older I get the more trouble I have with feet, knees and back. Should've been smarter in my teens and twenties I guess.

• Like 1

One thing that i'm loving a lot is I got my hunting rig set up with a power inverter and a 2lb air compressor. Cheap onboard Air. Being able to air down is a night and day difference in ride and comfort. Also I use the Inverter to rapid charge my phone and or charge camera batteries.

I have found coueswhitetail.com has made a huge difference all the great information from good guys shared!

• Like 3

MULE TAPE (if you don't have any while hunting you might not be human)

Good Skinning Knife (havalon for me)

Lighter

Water

My Gun or Bow

Picture of my Family

Knowing where the closest main highway is. Never truly lost if I know which direction it is.

No fuss no frills just the basics. I take A LOT more with me but these are the MUST HAVES for me.

• Like 1

Osprey Talon 44 lightweight pack. Less than 3 pounds. Bought it last December, shot a deer with it on, never knew it was there. It is black (comes in black or blue, but you can rig a cover of sorts). Older I get, more I appreciate lighter equipment.

• Like 1

Good thread. Bump 

They have been mentioned several times but the cheap cut proof gloves are great to use when processing critters in the field, for protection but also the grip creates less hand fatigue, less cleanup and more piece of mind.

• Like 3