Green Bullet

water softener...

mine went out. i was using one of the GE models that takes salt. it's the 2nd one in 10 yrs...i'm not willing to go that route again. would prefer to stay away from the salt as well.

any recommendations?

What about one of those whole house units that doesn't take salt? Heard good things about them. I'm on a well and will be putting one in when I get to that point in construction. Our water tastes great and bathes good but it's really hard on pipes and fixtures.

Whole house filters might help with taste but it will never get rid of Hard water or calcium. No matter what anybody says you still need a softener to get rid of calcium or hard water

• Like 1

I'm in the market too. I've been doing some research. It appears the options are buy from the big box stores for less than $400 or go with a high quality unit for nearly $1000.

I'm a plumber and install softeners. Zeke is right, softeners are the only thing that will remove calcium and other minerals. I use a unit made locally in Gilbert, so if anything goes wrong parts are readily available and they have good customer service. If your house is pre-plumbed for a softener I would normally install one for $1050, I'll do it for CWT members for $950. Call me if you're interested.

Thanks, Jim 480-283-7032

• Like 1

I'm a plumber and install softeners. Zeke is right, softeners are the only thing that will remove calcium and other minerals. I use a unit made locally in Gilbert, so if anything goes wrong parts are readily available and they have good customer service. If your house is pre-plumbed for a softener I would normally install one for $1050, I'll do it for CWT members for $950. Call me if you're interested.

Thanks, Jim 480-283-7032

Is that just for labor, or does that include the unit?

That is the unit and installation. If it has a loop pre-plumbed for it. If there is no loop then I would need to come look at the house and give you a price. Thanks!

• Like 1

Salt free conditioners aka "descalers" are voodoo. As mentioned above, ion exchange is the only economical way to soften water.

Whole house filters serve a different purpose. If you desire soft water, get a quality ion exchange system and don't look back.

• Like 1

Jim, what unit are you installing for that amount? Specs, makeup, etc?

Thx

I will post the specs and info on it this evening when I get home.

Jim, what unit are you installing for that amount? Specs, makeup, etc?

Thx

I will post the specs and info on it this evening when I get home.

I would like to know which water softener you are using? The one I have is loud and it wakes my kid at 3am. I'd like to get a new one.