BigBuckNasty!

5a leftover hopi hunt

5A N or S.........My 1st choice was this unit, 5AN Hopi Limited, call me crazy for doing that, but it was an awesome hunt last year and I had to do it again this year. Chased elk every day, had many shots. Connected on the 4th day. Hoping the satellite herd I found will still be there in Oct when I go back.

post-2173-0-51559700-1470711310_thumb.jpeg

5A Hopi can means lot of things since every hunt in that unit has an alotment set aside for Hopi's. And there is often some leftover for each of them.

If you are referring to the East and West Sunset Mountain hunt that is a limited opp then that is exactly as they have described. Low numbers of elk, lots of country, and less opportunity than typical AZ elk hunts.

There are elk all over the unit just takes some time and effort.

Thanks for the info guys I have the east and west sunset cow hunt in October I'm going to head up there soon and do some scouting and learn the area and hope for the best

See ya there, maybe! Went up a couple of weeks ago. Everything was dry as a bone...then it rained cats and dogs as we rushed to get out of there before we got stuck!

my wife and I both drew that tag...even with separate apps, imagine that...anyway heading up there tomorrow for the 1st time. sounds like it could be a good hunt

Congrats, Bigbuck! We left after Monday morning hunt, as the wind was so fierce we could barely stand up. We didn't see any elk, and we hunted both mountains. If you don't mind me asking, which mountain?

You better get up this this weekend and put some miles on your boots. Get a good map too. There is a lot of private property in 5A, which can make the unit frustrating if you don't know where you're going. There are a lot of elk in the unit, but they can be elusive.