Sign in to follow this  
PseAZ

Camp Cook Box

What's in yours, and how do you have it set up? With hunting season starting up cant wait to get out in the hills and do some hunting and camping. I also love to cook out and enjoy some good grub. What kinda stuff do you guys have in your cook box's and how do you have them set up?

• Like 1

Two Coleman stoves (have not made the jump to Camp Chef yet... ), three lanterns, three dutch ovens of various sizes, two large cast iron skillets, a small 'omlette' cast iron skillet, two pots, 1 gallon stainless steel coffee pot/perk, cooking utensils, wash tub, paper products (easier to eat on and burn in the fire as opposed to doing those dishes....), lighters, extra lantern mantels, etc... I keep it all in two of those old Rubbermaid black boxes with the gray lids. Had those boxes for 20 years now, and they are still holding-up well.

I really enjoy hiking/back-packing on occasion, but I also LOVE 'car camping'!!! :D

S.

:)

• Like 2

If you get the camp chef and lantern tree, don't forget the adapter to be able to run the stove off the smaller connections of the tree.

• Like 2

I have various boxes, some for quick short trips and for longer trips. Longer ones have more stuff and more luxury items.

I haven't figured out what is best but seems to scale both setups each trip.

Awesome input guys. We have a quick go box that has cooking utensils , can food, and such. Also have a small colapseable grill I got last year that works great. I'd like to build a box one day, I hate stuff being all scattered. I'll have to look into that

Latern pole as well

If you want to store everything in one box, I would suggest trying to find an old military field desk. We used them as chuck boxes when I was kid in scouts and they worked great. Cannot fit super large pots in them, but they hold everything needed for a kitchen just fine and even come with a nice table to work off of if need be.

I had the camp chef for over 15 years and now back with coleman. Unless your cooking for a large group, it's just too bulky.

I had the camp chef for over 15 years and now back with coleman. Unless your cooking for a large group, it's just too bulky.

I agree with that but I still use mine if it's just my wife and I. Sets up in a minute or two and the side wings are nice little table tops.

Camp chef stove and camp chef dutch oven table. 2 Dutch ovens, cast iron pot and cast iron skillet, coffee pot, assortment of utensils and cups. Everything fits in a tote our company used to send process kits in. Not perfect but works pretty good.

Ive never messed with the Dutch ovens. Seem pretty cool maybe this next year ill grab us a set. We got a nice set of cast iron skillets for Christmas I cant wait to use I really wanto get a Wok too. Right now I'm just running a single tote for all the stuff and the grill aside. But I'm going to try and prep up another tote for the Elk hunt Have 16 days off so I'm gunna be cooking a lot of good grub.

• Like 2

I bought an aluminum military hospital container off C/L. That container is the best thing ever for a camp box. Waterproof and airtight. 2-piece design where you lock in a section and turn it over to mate the other section. There are 10 heavy duty latches and a rubber seal that are very tough. There is a pressure relief screw on the side and believe me, if you don't release the pressure when you get home from the mountains you will never get the thing open. I threw it in my pool fully loaded and it floated like a bobber all day long.
Tons of space for all your kitchen needs and then some. I can't upload a picture right now but if you Google "aluminum military hospital container" you'll see an image of what I am referring to.

• Like 2

Ive never messed with the Dutch ovens. Seem pretty cool maybe this next year ill grab us a set. We got a nice set of cast iron skillets for Christmas I cant wait to use I really wanto get a Wok too. Right now I'm just running a single tote for all the stuff and the grill aside. But I'm going to try and prep up another tote for the Elk hunt Have 16 days off so I'm gunna be cooking a lot of good grub.

Dutch Ovens and cast iron are the way to go, IMO! I've got some 'fancy' Calphalon (both traditional and stainless) for the home kitchen, but I have taken to using the cast iron more and more at home, not just while camping! ;)

You likely already know this, but if you are a little new, be SURE to follow the standard instructions/rules for handling of all of your cast iron. NO DISH SOAP EVER!! :wacko: Break it in right and keep it 'seasoned' well, and you will be loving it!!

S.

:)

• Like 2