Barnesboy

New Hunting Pack

I have used different packs some costing 3-400 and still prefer my$100 jim shockey pack. That Alps you posted would be fine for what you need. Would never spend over $200 for a pack. badlands 2200 or eberle stock x1 and x2 are good and can be had for $200 and under but i would rather have an extrenal frame pack like you posted above.

• Like 1

You can find used external frames on Craigslist for about $50, like Kelty or Jansport. Most of them will carry more gear and weight than you want to, but you will find it difficult to sneak through the brush with one on your back because of the large frame. You could lash camp to an external frame and drop it as a spike camp then hunt with the bag you have, and use the frame to haul meat. But then you're packing in an extra pack...

There are options that don't break the bank, and an external frame is a cheap way to carry a lot of weight should you tag out.

I would never buy anything made by ALPZ. They rip off designs from companies that cannot afford to sue. Look what they did to FHF Gear with the bino harness this year.

I would say buy an Eberlestock Team Elk or Mainframe with add ons. If you can afford it down the road buy a Kifaru. You don't want a pack failure during a stalk or after a kill. Have been through a lot of packs. Some with some great warranties that didn't mean much 10 miles in.

I would highly recommend watching pack fitting videos done by Aron Snyder with Kifaru. He helped me out years ago on bowsite. Was almost able to double my packout weights.

• Like 1

I just upgraded packs and went with the Eberlestock X2 and bought a side scabbard for my rifle. I haven't hunted with it yet but I've heard great things about Eberlestock packs.

I just upgraded packs and went with the Eberlestock X2 and bought a side scabbard for my rifle. I haven't hunted with it yet but I've heard great things about Eberlestock packs.

I have this setup. It works very well. It's not great for hauling out meat, but most of the time you pack what you can back to the truck/camp and return with a meat hauler anyways. The pack dilemma is an ongoing evolution, especially for pack/gear junkies like me. Over the years, I have gone from a small fanny pack, to a camelback, to Eberlestock X2, to Outdoorsman, now currently trying out the Kuiu 3200...which I really like so far. By the way, I still have all of these :D

I also have a couple of meat frame packs. The Kelty Cache Hauler is a good one. It carries a load quite well...which is currently on sale at Sportsmans for $90. I have hunted with it with a small pack attached. Pretty lite setup.

There are tons of options. It's best to get your hands on one and try it on with weight in it before you buy. If you have time, watch the forums.

I picked up a couple used Badlands packs on here not long ago for good pricing. I haven't used them yet but just from trying them on and such they are comfortable and everyone swears by Badlands.

I picked up an older 2200 which is a nice size pack, and I also picked up a Summit that is pretty darn big pack. I am giving the 2200 to my hunting buddy and using the Summit for myself. The summit is so big I don't know what to do with all the room in it.

I picked them up though so my hunt buddy and I can start looking at doing overnight and 2-3 day hunts possibly. I have never done that before and I am interested in trying it some before I get to old.

Harley

If ya have to have one I'd Look into Badlands.

Personally I like small packs, the bigger ones mean I'll be humping more

Well thank you guys for the info and I have been looking in to some of these packs. My next question for you guys is what's better internal frame or a external frame? I've done some research on them both but what are yours thoughts. I will say I wish I had a bigger pack the last 2 days I have been scouting for Bear and realized I have way to much gear for my little pack haha.

It's a trade-off really. For pure load hauling an external is tough to beat, especially when you can get one for $50 on Craigslist, but an external won't collapse down like a lot of internal frame packs can with compression straps. An external frame is usually bulkier than an internal and will get hung up in brush. This means that an internal will usually make a for a better day pack. Even a large internal can usually be compressed down to day pack size and then expand when hauling.

Which is better is a difficult question. Externals and internals each have their place. Barney's chalet in Alaska still make a popular external geared for the hunter, and there are a lot of the hybrids, like kifaru. But those are alpha packs and are expensive.

I usually run a 50 liter day pack that's compressed down unless it's cold and I've got a lot of layers in there. I keep an external frame in the truck for hauling. If I'm not carrying a tag I'll carry my external to help haul should an animal go down.

I personally like an external frame pack. I have a Kelty frame with a Boyds pack attached to it. If gives me the support I desire and the frame keeps the pack off my back so I don't sweat as much. I put a piece of foam pipe insulation on the right side for when I need both hands free and hook the rifle sling over the top right corner of the frame.

I'm on my third frame in 30 years. I also have a Rustlers Ridge pack my son bought me but don't use it as much as the frame pack. I strictly do day hunts so the Boyds pack at about 2500 cu in works out well as I usually don't hike more than about 5-6 miles a day.