Barnesboy

New Hunting Pack

i have a badlands and while it is comfortable and all I hate the zippers.....plastic junk!

I've had them replace my zippers 2 times so far and need to send it in again....

I'm about done with badlands.

Switched to Kifaru last year and I will say it is a night and day difference comfort wise when hauling heavy loads. I vote save up and buy once cry once.

If you have no time to save up and need one by this season, the eberlestock dragonfly is a great, more budget friendly option. They're even on Sierra trading post right now. Should be around $170 with one of their coupons. They have the blue widow for around $150 too. Use it for a year and sell it for that price if you're not happy with it.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/eberlestock-j107-dragonfly-hunting-backpack-internal-frame~p~125rg/?filterString=s~eberlestock%2F

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/eberlestock-jp9-blue-widow-hunting-backpack-internal-frame~p~125rh/?merch=prod-sim-prod125RH

i have a badlands and while it is comfortable and all I hate the zippers.....plastic junk!

I've had them replace my zippers 2 times so far and need to send it in again....

I'm about done with badlands.

After years and years of dust I started having problems with the zippers, also plastic/ I spray them with Pam and it helps.

On mine the zippers kept pulling apart making them useless, almost lost my gps once but a pard noticed it.

Thankfully.

I really wish they would use steel zippers.

I've been through almost every brand of pack made and none are perfect.

I love the rifle scabbard and pockets on the Enerlestock. Hate the sloppy, flapping top and weak buckles

The Badlands are solid construction but could never get it to fit me right

Love the Outdoorsmans bag but I could never get it to stop squeaking with every step and the buckles/straps were not as durable as other packs.

Currently using the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. The adjustability of the fit is incredible. The straps and buckles are heavy duty and the zippers are top quality too. The workmanship on the stitching / construction is top notch. Not enough pockets and its heavy.

Been a multi-day backpack junky for years. I've been a fan of Gregory and a company back East called EMS for heavy hauling(65-90pnds) for the past 20yrs give or take. Just started down the hunting pack path a couple of years ago. The Team Elk is a killer all round pack for guys/gals under 6ft. Just picked up this pack from Tenzing a few weeks ago after more hours of pack hunting than I care to admit and 6' 3", I couldn't be much happier -

https://www.amazon.com/Tenzing-TZ-4000-Hunting-Backpack/dp/B00IBD9V2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471142667&sr=8-1&keywords=tenzing+tz4000

Bought a Badlands Ox prior to that purchase and took it back after a moderate 3 day backpack scout in July. Very comfortable pack to wear, but was an awful design in terms of the main compartment and took very little effort to have zipper failure on both the main and small compartments. In all honesty I knew I'd be returning the pack at that stage and didn't take the care that I had earlier on in the trip. Either way, it didn't take much. Seems to be a theme with Badlands. Cool packs with lots of nifty features otherwise.

I put my hands on the Outdoorsmans packs and while they seemed solid over-all... I felt that the construction techniques were terribly outdated and lacked most modern features of packs at a price point of $400-500. I don't think one could go wrong biting the cost bullet on Kifaru or Mystery Ranch. Each of those companies have some fantastic systems for hauling meat, but lacked the organization features that I've come to look for. Eberlestock has a ton of solid options that incorporate great load baring qualities with organization and scabbards for the rifle hunts which I really love. Eberlestock hasn't quite figured out the advantage of adding the meat compartment in the same way as a couple of the other competitors. They have a couple that would get it done, they are just monster packs size and weight wise once built out. Personally... I moved quickly past the minimalist packs of Kuiu, Stone Glacier, and the like. Just not what I'm looking for.

So all things said and done. I am really digging the Tenzing TZ 4000. My buddy bought the TZ 6000 after I turned him on to Tenzing and he absolutely loves it. Just as a side note; price point was not a factor for me when spending my undisclosed hours surfing the endless web reviews when I finally made a decision. I was prepared to spend in the neighborhood of $800 when I 1st started my hunt for a new pack.

Anywho, I'm a complete gear junky and thought why not chime in on a topic that my wife started off with the comments of, "not ANOTHER pack"... and finished with, "thank God you finally picked one"!

So I have been looking at packs and am thinking one of these 2 I'll go with.

post-11419-0-17459900-1471238337_thumb.png

post-11419-0-28690400-1471238356_thumb.png

That scapegoat looks like a nice pack. I would look for a used pack before you drop money on a new one.

I love my eberlestock dragonfly. Tons of room and comfortable to carry. Live the rifle scabbard. I bought the rifle rest attachment for my young ones to shoot with. Everyone has their favorites. Eberlestock is definitely mine.