creed

Solo elk hunting

It is starting to look like I am going to be solo at least a portion of this coming archery hunt. I have hunted solo much of my life but this is going to be my first elk hunt that I didn't have help.

Just curious how many of you are doing it alone this year? I am going to be in an area with zero phone service. That is probably my biggest concern. As clumsy as I am it is not out of the question for me to screw myself up somehow. Thinking of getting my hands on a satellite phone.

Either rent a sat phone or get a SPOT messenger. If you do hunt solo frequently I would recommend the SPOT.

• Like 1

My main concern is packing out your meat and getting cooled in time. I'll be hunting with my Dad, but I'm worried about the heat and losing meat.

I'm sure someone on here would jump at joining you for archery elk.

Regarding communication, get a Delorme inReach Explorer or SE. They are similar to a Spot device, but actually let you text message on your phone or directly on the device. You can also text back and forth directly with SAR should something ever happen. Much cheaper than a sat phone.

I will be hunting solo for a portion of my archery elk hunt this year as well, as my usual hunting buds got drawn for a different unit (I lucked out and got a Unit 1 tag... ^_^). A good buddy from Utah is coming down for some of the hunt, but not all of it. That being said, I have hunted solo before and actually enjoy is. Love hunting with my kids and/or good friends, but also really enjoy the solitude of being alone at times.

The area I am in has kind of spotty cell service. I'll have my phone with me at all times, but I don't think it will necessarily work all the time. Hadn't really considered a sat phone, but I suppose that is an option if you are out of range of cell service, for extra security. The way I kind of look at it is that 30 years ago nobody had cell service, and guys still hunted solo some of the time.... ;)

For the meat; I'm not too concerned, as I've got plenty of experience in breaking down animals & getting the meat hung in trees to cool prior to pack-out. As long as it is hung in the shade with skin OFF and wrapped a good game bag or pillow cases to keep the flies off, 24-36hrs should not be a problem at all. That should be plenty of time to get it all packed-out, even solo.

Enjoy the solitude and have fun!!! Four more weeks!! :lol:

S.

:)

• Like 3

I will also be doing solo for a portion of my hunt. Basically after the morning hunt of 9/11 unless of course if I get one early :) I got a cart and plan to take as much meat as I can.

My family knows where I will be and I plan on checking in daily. If they don't get the call they know to send someone. I am also looking into getting spot from one of my wheeling buddies. That way I can send SOS signal if I need it and the family can check my location.

I am also solo hunting, early archery bull in 7W. Might have some company on the weekends, but otherwise alone. Must be nuts......nope, a hunter!

• Like 4

Solo elk is not so bad. You don't have to worry about anything other than yourself. Mouth call when they get close no other movement to get busted by the bull.

• Like 1

only real thing I didn't like about solo was in camp time - especially after dark

no sceeerd or paranoid or lonely -- it's just time seems to go so slow - gets dark early - I never have or had a fire

I would sometimes camp in easy walkin distance of other hunters camps- if possible - make a social call if needed to make sure we weren't steppin on each other while hunting

do not take hunting solo to lightly - I hope all have a safe successful hunt

younger age - never gave it a second thought -

getting a little more gray - know things can sometimes go wrong and nice to know help is around if needed

• Like 5

I might be solo for a few of the days in sept archery bull 3a/3c. Not sure if anyone else is in the same boat. If anyone else has that hunt we can exchange numbers in case one of us gets in a jam.

• Like 3

I will be alone most of my hunt if I don't kill the first two days. The worst part about going it alone is the difficulty of properly caring for the kill by yourself. If you are miles from a road, you better be in very good shape and depending on elevation and weather, have some big ice chests with alot of ice/frozen bottles, because you will be going at it a while, especially with a big bull, antlers, head, cape. Def be ready for the bone-out method... I'm kind of a light weight though, so it takes me more trips than most.

what unit did you draw?

5BS

Kind of surprised the number of guys that may be hunting alone. I have received several pm's and appreciate all of the offers.

Still a lot of uncertainty about this hunt. I am going to do one more scout close to the opener. Things can change a lot but regardless life is pretty good when you have a bull elk tag in hand.

I tend to take a dog when I'm hunting and camping alone. Nice to have someone to talk to and you really get to know your dog. A dog I used to have would spot deer first. He'd stare, look at me, then sit and stare directly at them. Sometimes it was other game but it was like he was saying "hey stupid blind guy, look over here!!"

• Like 6