Sign in to follow this  
desertbird

Decoys While Solo Hunting

I'll probably be solo for most of my early archery hunt this year.

Last time I had an early archery tag the good bulls almost always hung up at 80 - 100 yards looking for the cow that was calling.

Rag horns were not so cautious.

Has anyone used a Montana decoy where if you get a bull coming you quickly set it up by hanging on a tree and moving 30-40 yrds into the direction of the bull?

It sounds like you might be setting up in too open of an area. I did make myself some foam silhouettes that I can roll up in my pack if I need them but this will be the first year I use them. I usually try to set up where I can see about 60 yards only. I am really thinking about buying one of those decoys from poisonarrow. Check him out he is a sponsor of this site.

I have had the same thing with elk hanging up. I always thought that a visual would help bring them in that last 30-40 yards. I went ahead and bought this. If it doesn't work I guess I am just out the money. I didn't buy the clamp. I don't need anything else hanging off of my bow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381308881498?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Like 1

I used the Montana decoy on my hunt last year and it seemed to bring in all the Bulls and you even have the ability to walk straight to them without them really noticing it's a decoy

I've used one as well when hunting solo. I think it works best to keeps the cows at ease and not put them on alert when slipping in silent.