Sign in to follow this  
DEERSLAM

Hittin the hills

Decided to lace up the boots throw on the "Just One" and hit the hills for a little training for my backpack hunts late Sept. and late Oct. Got to my spot just before light and to my surprise the Tule elk were bugling. I could see one large bull feeding up through the oaks about 400yds away. It just so happened that I had my Foxpro FX5 with me and my .204ruger in case I decided to try call up some yotes. Well it just so happens I have some elk vocals loaded on my Foxpro so I snuck out and set up next to a big oak and started up some estrus cow calls and some bugles. In no time I had a bull coming up behind me another charging in in front, the big herd bull screaming to my left and 2 other bulls bugling from across the hiway. Cows started coming off the hill to my left but the herd bull wouldn't budge. A 5x5 charged in from in front and started checkin the cows while the bull from behind showed up. He was ancent and huge bodied old dude, I'm guessing 10yrs old. He was short beamed and very heavy and busted off on his left side above the 2nd point. I sat there and messed with a bunch of elk for almost an hour. What a thrill! After things settled down I decide to head up canyon and try and call up a yote. I was just about to sneak over a saddle and peeked over the top and there 15yds away was the oldster. I dropped down and got out the camera and got a few pics. Unfortuantly the wife busted the good camera so all I had was the 4x zoom digital. The pica are ok and you can see the mass of his antlers and some of the scars on his body. Enjoy a west coast elk.

CacheCreek8-28-07004.jpg

CacheCreek8-28-07002.jpg

CacheCreek8-28-07001.jpg

Oh I almost forgot. Here's a special pic for Coosfan. Enjoy Jim!

CacheCreek8-28-07005.jpg

Nice pics deerslam, are those Tule elk?

You crack me up :lol: :lol: He say's they are Tule elk in the first two sentences. :lol:

Read the articles and don't just look at the pictures :huh: I remember being told that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice pics deerslam, are those Tule elk?

You crack me up :lol: :lol: He say's they are Tule elk in the first two sentences. :lol:

Read the articles and don't just look at the pictures :huh: I remember being told that :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: